Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can "Request Participant" field be added to Kanban boards in Details section?

gail_kay September 24, 2021

I am working in the Issue Detail View of a Kanban board and do not see an option to add in "Request Participant" field. Is that even possible to add that field to the Detail View?

1 answer

0 votes
Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 24, 2021

@gail_kay -

The field in question is only available in JSM project.  However, Kanban board should not be used for JSM project, as it is only for Jira Software projects.  The question is why you are using Kanban board to track request in a JSM project?

Kindly advise.

Best, Joseph Chung Yin

Jira/JSM Functional Lead, Global Infrastructure Applications Team

Viasat Inc.

gail_kay September 24, 2021

We have some teams that use the Kanban board to work enhancement type tickets via a sprint.  I didn't think it was possible but wanted confirmation about the field for the customer.

Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 24, 2021

When using JSM, teams should not work request via KANBAN or SCRUM boards.  They should be using Queues to track on their issues via the JSM project UI.

KANBAN/SCRUM is for Jira Software project and not for JSM.  Although, the system will not stop user to create KANBAN boards against JSM project, some fields for JSM project will not be available to be added to issue details view - i.e. Requested Participant in this case.

Best, Joseph

Jörg Hoffmann October 27, 2021

Hey,

the funny thing is that once our users have seen or even worked with a Kanban board, they all request it for their Service Desks.

I think all our Service Desks work via Kanban now. Just created a Kanban board with the JQL based on the project, and then linked the board as a project shortcut.

The Kanban Board is way more flexible and allows you to easily rank, switch between issues without opening an issue in a new tab, edit the issues fields in the side bar with a single click, see all the past comments, write a new comment, drag & drop status changes, the usage of keyboard shortcuts ("e" for edit, "." for more actions), aside from offering basically all the things that the queue does.

All these things give a big advantage to working in Kanban boards, and I think with just a few minor adjustments, like allowing certain fields, like "Request Participants" to be added to the Sidebar, a Kanban board could even be the perfect tool for Service Desks

Please let me know, the advantages of the queue UI if there are any, because I'm honestly curious if I'm missing something here.

Best,

Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 27, 2021

@Jörg Hoffmann -

Yes, Kanban board is an excellent process.  However, JSM (by default) doesn't use Kanban board out of the box.  It doesn't stop you from creating a board for your JSM project because Jira/JSM flexibility. This is why certain fields (i.e. "Request Participants" exclusively for JSM) cannot be added to the Issue Details View section.  

Queue management is what JSM provide, Each queue can be customized based on a set of criteria that you can defined via the JSM project UI.  Since it is a part of JSM, then it is highly coupled with JSM application. 

It is a choice that you have to make.

Best, Joseph

Jörg Hoffmann October 28, 2021

I guess I wish they would properly integrate Kanban into JSM.

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events