Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can a custom field list include a freeform text option?

David Meyer August 3, 2020

In a list (dropdown, checklist, multiple choice, etc), Can one option be "other" where that is actually a text enterable field available in the list itself?

Right now - selecting "other" requires a separate field after the list. 

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Trevan Householder_Isos-Tech-Consulting_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 3, 2020

@David Meyer This is something that 99.999999% of Jira customers need, but it doesn't exist natively.  

The best option for most Atlassian clients I work with is "Extension for Jira Service Desk" - an app that gives you the ability to create dynamic forms - something not natively possible in Jira Service Desk / Jira Service Management.

The app provides a lot of other great functionality in addition to Dynamic Forms capabilities.  I don't work for Deviniti but I recommend it for 100% of my JSD implementations.  

David Meyer August 3, 2020

Thank you. I am working the out-of-the-box functionality right now but need tips like this for the near future!

0 votes
Simon H
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 31, 2020

@David Meyer another option to look at is ProForma. It allows rich forms on the portal and support adding the 'other' option. You can also do conditional/dynamic logic, or add multiple forms to support more complex processes.

Like @Trevan Householder_Isos-Tech-Consulting_ I don't work for Deviniti; however, I am the PM for ProForma :)

Trevan Householder_Isos-Tech-Consulting_
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 31, 2020

Good point, @Simon H . I think ProForma really shines (I've found it to be most useful) where you would otherwise need to create tons of custom fields (think government or insurance forms, for example).  With ProForma, you don't have to create all those custom fields that clutter up your environment.  There are some specific use cases where ProForma really shines.

Like Simon H likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events