Can I use JQL (or another mechanism) to assign request to a queue based on content of email header?

Jeff Bernstein March 30, 2021

I would like to assign a request to a queue based on the nickname the request was emailed to, contained in the header of the original email.

A customer emails a request to the nickname assigned to the service desk email address so email sent to the nickname is delivered to the service desk email address' inbox. The header of the email contains the nickname in the to: field of the header.

Is there a way to use JQL (or some other tool) to search the header of the incoming email for the value in the to: field and if the nickname is found assign the issue to the appropriate queue?

JIRA Service Desk 4.13.1

Thanks,
Jeff

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Jeff Bernstein April 1, 2021

I'm going to use the Mail flow rules in Exchange to prepend some text to the subject of the email if the email is sent to the nickname.

Exchange can examine the header and find the to: address and the rule will prepend text to the subject. Then I'll use JQL to look for that text in the incoming email and assign it to a queue.

0 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 30, 2021

Hi Jeff, i'm not sure I am following. Queues in JSM belong to a specific project and each project has a specific email address for handling request by email so unsure what you mean by nickname here. In any event Queues are defined (display issues) based upon an underlying JQL so you would need to somehow get this nickname into a custom field that could be used w/in your filter. Maybe if you could get this nickname into the body of the email you could then use automation, scriptrunner, etc. to post-process and capture into a custom field.

Jeff Bernstein March 30, 2021

Hi Jack,

In a Microsoft Exchange context, a nickname is another email address assigned to an existing email account. For example, jira-service-desk@mydomain.com, the service desk email account, can have a nickname (alias) assigned to it, say customer-service@mydomain.com. Email sent to customer-service@mydomain.com will be directed to jira-service-desk@mydomain.com's inbox and the email's header will include to:customer-service@mydomain.com in it.

What I'd like to do is add any email request sent to customer-service@mydomain.com to be added to another queue within the project. I'm looking for a way to differentiate requests sent to one email address based on the contents of the to: field in an email header.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
SERVER
VERSION
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events