Can I automatically mirror an issue created in JSM Cloud Project to Jira Software Kanban Project?

Ben Scott May 3, 2021

I would like to explore the use of JSM as the primary place bugs and issues are raised, both by our customers and internal support team. 

Our Development teams are using a Company-Managed Jira Software Kanban Project to manage their dev workflow. 

Rather than the Dev team having to work within two Projects, I am wanting to know if issues that are raised on the JSM can be mirrored and automatically created in another Jira Project? 

I know I can "Move" an issue to another project, but this is a manual process. 

Thank you for your help!

2 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 3, 2021

@Ben Scott -

Hi Ben:

Yes, you have multiple high-level options here to accomplish your asks -

1) I believe you can use "Automation for Jira" add-on (it is an add-on free in the Jira Cloud Premium account) to setup automation rule to create issues in Jira Software project(s).  It is assuming that you already have your CLOUD env setup for both JSM and Jira Software in the CLOUD.  If your two application environments are different (i.e. JSM is CLOUD based and Jira Software is Data Center based), then you will also setup application links between those two environments.

2) Customize your JSM workflow and use Post Function calls to create issues in your Jira Software projects with custom scripting or paid third parties add-ons for your Jira env.  Two add-ons options are -

Jira Misc Workflow Extensions (JMWE) - https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/292/jira-misc-workflow-extensions-jmwe?hosting=cloud&tab=overview

ScriptRunner for Jira - https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/6820/scriptrunner-for-jira?hosting=cloud&tab=overview

In our Data Center on-prems envs for JSM and Jira, we use the 2nd option to auto create issues in Jira Software/JSM projects when JSM issue is created or transitions into a specific WF status via customized JSM WF's post function call.  In the calls, we also link those auto issues back to the original JSM issues automatically.

Hope this helps.

Best, Joseph Chung Yin

Jira/JSM Functional Lead, Global Infrastructure Applications Team

Viasat Inc.

Ben Scott May 3, 2021

Great - thank you!

Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 4, 2021

@Ben Scott -

Please click accept answer if I have addressed your question.

Best, Joseph

0 votes
Matthias Gaiser _K15t_
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 5, 2021

Hi @Ben Scott

in addition to the two solutions @Joseph Chung Yin mentioned, you can also use an issue sync app for your scenario.

If you only care about creating issues in another project, I'd probably go with one of the Automation steps, described by Joseph.

If you also care about synchronizing updates after the create either uni- or bidirectional, I'd recommend to have a look at one of the issue sync apps in the marketplace.

Cheers,
Matthias.

PS: I'm part of the Backbone Issue Sync team.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events