Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Calculating % opened vs closed

Sara Schreiner October 27, 2020

Hi, I have a team that would like to calculate [tickets closed/ tickets opened (%)] over the span of a one week period. 

While I think we can potentially substitute other metrics and achieve a similar KPI, I am curious if this is possible to do in Jira reports? Either with or without plugins?

2 answers

1 vote
Larry Loughan October 27, 2020

Hi Sara,

Go to Reports then scroll down to Created vs Resolved Issues Report.

From there you should be able to configure a report to show tickets closed/tickets open.

Capture.PNG

Thanks Larry, but my view looks different than yours. I can add series, and modify colors, but I don't have the ability to 'Configure', only 'Edit' custom reports. I also don't have a created vs resolved report, I had to create one.

Do I need to look under project settings or somewhere else?

Hi Sara,

First I went to Reports

Capture.PNG

Then ISSUE ANALYSIS >> Created vs Resolved Issues Reports

Capture.PNG 

I am not sure if this is related to your environment or permissions.

Ah thanks, when I look at the logo for your reports tab it looks like you're in Jira Software, is that correct? My question pertains to Jira Service Desk (screenshot of my reports tab below): 

Screen Shot 2020-10-27 at 2.28.00 PM.png

Yes I am in JIRA software.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 27, 2020

It's the same report for Jira Software, Service Desk and Core.  The differences you're seeing are because one of you is on Server and the other Cloud.  But the report still does mostly the same thing, just that the options are a little different.

Like Larry Loughan likes this

Looks like I was on the wrong forum but hopefully we got Sara where she needed to go.

Like Nic Brough -Adaptavist- likes this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 27, 2020

Oh heck no!  You were in the right forum, as you had a perfectly good answer, and supporting comments later.

Cloud and Server have diverged a lot in many places, but not much on this subject and what you said is what I would have if I'd got there first.  The two systems are similar enough that you are right to point Sara there, and I too hope Sara has found it useful.

Sara Schreiner October 28, 2020

Thanks both of you, however quick question, the report that I see is not in % format, am I missing something? Or another difference between our environments? I'd like to see the report show the % of tickets closed vs tickets opened, not just counts. 

Appreciate your help! 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 28, 2020

No, you're not missing anything, other than what is going on in our heads which we have not explained out loud!

This report is not in %, it's coded to show actual numbers, not proportions, on both Server and Cloud.  So it's not quite what you asked for.

I think @Larry Loughan and I are trying to get you as close as we can to the information you need to get - this report tells you the raw number of opened and closed issues, so you can calculate percentages from there.

Personally, I'm not quite sure that percentages would tell us anything more useful than the raw numbers, and I've realised that I don't know what percentage you're actually looking for either!  What is the base number that open/closed is from?  For example, if we have 7 resolved and 12 opened, when I do (7*100)/x, and (12*100)/x to get percentages, what is the x?  Off the top of my head, it could be "issues on the chart (7+12)", "issues in the filter" (which would then include all issues not created or resolved this time period, which is arguably more useful in some cases), "issues in all the projects included", or even "issues updated in the projects the report covered"?

0 votes
Larry Loughan October 28, 2020

This is what I could find to view this chart not sure if you can change it to a %.

Capture.PNG

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events