Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Calculating Time to First Response and Time to resolution (UI + Rest API)

Deleted user March 10, 2021

Hello Jira Community :)

I am working on a project that displays first response time on a third party dashboard with the data I got from the JIRA rest api. I am able to get 'created' and '[CHART] Date of First Response' which aligns with the created and first comment time data that I see on the ticket page .

What I am unable to understand, is the calculation of the first response time under the SLA section on the ticket page (section in red per screenshot below).

Per the created (Mar 7, 18:33) and the first comment time (Mar 8, 04:49), the first response time should have been 10hrs instead of 1h44m that's shown in the red box. We use 24/7 Calendar in our project setting >SLAs. The result (1h44m) does not make sense for either 24/7 calendar or Sample 9-5 calendar. The same applies to time to resolution.

Screen Shot 2021-03-11 at 1.51.04 PM.png

My questions are:

- how is the SLA calculated ultimately?

- if I would like to get the same number as Jira UI on a third party tool, what are the fields to use from the rest API?

Thanks for the help in advance! 

1 answer

0 votes
Earl McCutcheon
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 15, 2021

Hello @[deleted] ,

The times are a countdown timer, showing time remaining until breached.   

For an explanation looking at the time to first response metric 

• To: Monday, March 8, at 4:49:00 am

That will be 10 hours and 16 minutes elapsed, with the initial SLA metric being 12 hours, leaving 1 hour and 44 minutes remaining until the SLA is breached. So this value is showing that the metric was met with the listed time remaining.

Once Breached the timer will continue to countdown into the negative showing how far the issue is past the breached metric.

As for the SLA API endpoints, you can find all the details for the desired platform in the following documentation:

Regards,
Earl

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events