Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CCed people aren't receiving and Email if CCed in a ticket

Davide Toniolatti May 11, 2021

Hi all,

I don't know how to solve this, whenever I cc someone in a Jira ticket they don't receive an email, only if I assign the ticket to them.

How can I fix it?

Thanks in advance

2 answers

1 accepted

Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 2, 2022

This is a common concern.  Jira Service Management (JSM) can be configured to include To and CC addressees into the request as mentioned in Add request participants through email:

To add request participants through email:

1. Create a request by drafting an email to your service project’s email address.

2. Add the request participant’s email address to either the “To” or “Cc” fields.

3. Send the email request.

Request participants will receive an email notifying them that they are participating in the request depending on the project notification settings.

However there is also a warning below that explains why this might not work because of the settings defined within Jira Service Management:

Depending on your portal-only customer access settings and project customer permissions, customers may be able to add people to the project as new customers by including their email address in the “To” or “Cc” field when replying to a request’s email notification. Learn more about how customer access settings impact project customer permissions.

If the portal is setup to not create accounts for new users, and the email is being sent to an address that JSM does not know of yet, that message won't be able to add that user to the request within JSM.

While some of these settings can be adjusted by a project admin, others require a site-admin level permissions to configure here so that new users can be added to the request based on their email address. 

Another scenario that can cause a similar problem is the use of an email distribution list.  In cases where a group email address is being used as the To: or CC:, emails can be received by multiple users, but JSM is unable to verify the users on that list because in order for JSM to identify users that should have access, each account in JSM is tied to a unique email address.  The use of a distribution list could be a factor where in end users receive an email from a person or as a response from JSM, but then that unique user is not actually added to the request itself.

0 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 11, 2021

Are those cc’d customers on the project?

Yes they are, they actually are colleagues of mine included in the project.

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 11, 2021

If you set them as request participants and make a public comment do they receive a notification?

What do you exactly mean by request participant? They receive an email if they are assigned or reporter and I comment. But not if they are CCed. What should I select from the below?

atlassian.png

mararn1618 _secretbakery.io_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
May 20, 2021

Hi @Davide Toniolatti , Jack refers to this field in the ticket view.

2021-05-20 14_31_12-[DAISERV-1] Merge multiple source tickets at once - Jira.png

Like Jack Brickey likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events