Best Practice for workflows on request in Jira Service Desk

Dan W June 25, 2019

I am new to Jira Service Desk and have a question.  For processes that don't follow the default process for the standard service request.   Should we create a new workflow for the request or handle it via automations.  For example we have one process that has 5 different approvals that are needed before the request is sent to the agent to install.  We are trying to figure out the best method for handling these more advanced processes.

3 comments

Susan Hauth _Jira Queen_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 25, 2019

Hi Dan,

imho, I would do via workflows.  Think of the workflow as your very base foundation for your processes.  Automations enhance the workflows and allow triggers and other actions to happen.

Hope that helps

Susan

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 25, 2019

Yes. for the case where you have a specific request that requires approvals you should have a unique workflow. This means that you will need a unique Issuetype since workflows are associated to issuetypes not request types.

Dan W June 25, 2019

Thanks for the information, the separate workflows is what made sense to me but I wasn't sure if it was the correct way to go.  I think some of our processes might make sense in automation, like task creation on status advance,  but approvals didn't really seem to fit that method.

Thanks

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events