Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Automation to move issue created by email channel to another Request Type and Issue Type, depending

support for vo August 31, 2020

Hi,

I have created an Email channel adresse for our Jira SD project, so that email send to this @ are transformed into issue of that type : « Other tool problem ». But this request type correspond to an  « Incident » issue type.

I tried to create automation rules to dispatch issues received by email channel to different queues, depending on keywords in the mail.

But I can’t make a rule which move the created issue to another Request Type if the Issue Type is different from « Incident ».

For example, if I receive emails containing « jira » or « confluence » keywords, I want to automatically move the created issue to the « Jira or Confluence request » type, but it doesn’t work because this Request Type correspond to a « Service Request » issue Type.

How can I manage this need ?

Manually, making a move action ?

Another way ?

Is there any existing Plugin which can do this ? Scriptrunner ?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Catherine

Jira Software 8.5.5 / SEN-8369496
JIRA Service Desk 4.5.5 / SEN-17073647

2 answers

0 votes
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 3, 2020

Hi Catherine,

I understand that you're using Jira Service Desk Server and want to be able to automatically change the Customer Request Type field based on some criteria of the initial request.  If you're not familiar with the difference between a request and an issue, please check out Jira Service Desk: Issues vs. Requests.

In this case, the limitation here is not in regards to the workflows in place, but rather the automation here is limited in that it can only change the Customer Request Type IF the two request types share the same issue type.  This limitation is noted when you setup this automation rule (see the yellow box in this screenshot).

Screen Shot 2020-09-03 at 10.56.08 AM.png

If the customer requests have different issue types, automation in Jira Service Desk is not currently able to change the issue type, hence it then cannot set the request type (since requests are a layer built upon specific issue types).  The main reason for this is that Jira does not currently have a REST API to move issues.  That is essentially what has to happen in order to change the issue type here.

There have been some other users in Community that have looked upon other plugins such as scriptrunner for a solution here, such as https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Marketplace-Apps-Integrations/Script-Runner-set-Field-quot-Customer-Request-type-quot/qaq-p/44063 However, it seems that other users have had difficulty setting up such a work-around.

Yes you could manually move the issue to a new issue type first, and then set the customer request type.  That seems like a fine work-around if you don't have to repeat these steps frequently.  However if you envision that this kind of move would be common, then I would suggest adjusting your multiple customer request types to use a single issue type.  This way, you can then rely upon an automation rule to adjust these requests for you instead.

I hope this helps.

Andy

0 votes
Trevan Householder_Isos-Tech-Consulting_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 31, 2020

Hi Catherine ( @support for vo ),

This should be possible with Automation for Jira if the issue types have the same workflow.

sameWorkflow.png

support for vo September 1, 2020

Hi Trevan,
Thanks for your answer.
Incident & "Service Request" have exactly the same workflow (see attached "Workflow Scheme" file), but it doesn't work with my automation rule.
See the logs of the execution in the attached file.
My email channel configuration is that any email are transformed as a Request Type which have IssueType = Incident, and in my automation rule, in the second condition, I want to move the issue to the "Jira or Confluence request" which have IssueType = "Service Request".
But the email creates an issue Incident with the default Request Type.

Any idea ?

Thanks in advance

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
SERVER
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events