cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Automation is being triggered twice

Mateo Colombo June 2, 2023

Hi everyone!

Need some help with an automation, let me explain the problem:

I have an automation which is triggered when an issue gets commented. IF the author of that comment IS NOT the "Reporter" of the issue THEN the automation will send a MS Teams Message to a Teams Channel to the "Reporter" of the issue notifying him/her that one of his issues has a new comment.

The thing is that the MS Teams Message is being sent twice, and in the logs I can see that the automation is running twice.

Does anybody knows why this can be happening?Screenshot 2023-06-02 at 11.03.25.png

2 answers

0 votes
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 3, 2023

Hi Mateo,

Why is there a second IF statement? And why is the Teams message indented under that one and not at the main level? 

Mateo Colombo June 4, 2023

Hi John!

Te first IF statement actually works as a filter to only act if an issue type is a "Defect".

The second IF statement is where I differentiate to which MS Teams I will send the message, this depends on which is the "Reporter" of the issue. In the screenshot you are just seeing one IF statement but there are many more. So if the "Reporter" of the issue is A then the MS Teams message will be sent to Channel A, if the "Reporter" is B then the MS Teams message will be sent to Channel B...and so on.

Thanks!

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 5, 2023

So if there is more to the rule, then check the Audit Log for the rule after you run it and it duplicates the post. Then walk through the audit log steps to see if it passes multiple IF statements - I suspect that is what is happening. You should see do places in the audit log where Microsoft Teams was updated. 

Mateo Colombo June 6, 2023

The thing is that the rule is running twice, that means it is being triggered twice by the same comment.

So it's not an error on the configuration or creation of the rule, I think this might be an issue from the triggering perspective.

Why, when I post a comment on an issue, the rule triggers twice? And as far as I know, this was not happening in the past, I had this rule configured in the past and this issue was not occurring.

Is it possible that a bug has been introduced in the Jira Automations?

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 7, 2023

Did you look at the audit log to confirm there were not two updates? Or you looked at the audit log and saw that there were two Success executions recorded separately? 

Mateo Colombo June 7, 2023

Exactly, I looked at the audit log and can confirm that there are two executions separately.

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 8, 2023

So, does the rule add a comment to the issue in addition to sending the Teams message? 

0 votes
Aditya Verma
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 2, 2023

Hi @Mateo Colombo ,

Can you please provide the audit log screenshot as well.

Thanks,
Aditya

Mateo Colombo June 2, 2023

You can see how the same issue triggered the automation at the same time

Screenshot 2023-06-02 at 14.38.29.png

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events