Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Automation for JIRA overwriting Request participants on Issue Create

Yusuf Adam Kwong March 21, 2020

Hi,

I am trying to have Automation for JIRA add Request Participants but it keeps overwriting them.

I have used 'Edit Fields', 'Request Participants', 'set value', in the text box ive tried 'Copy from issue', 'Copy from parent' and even 'Copy from Trigger Issue' in addition to the user I want added but it keeps overwriting them. In Issue History I would see request participants added from the CC in an email request but Automation would then remove them and replace with the user. 

Does anyone have any idea how to go about accomplishing this?

4 answers

2 votes
Paul Krueger
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 21, 2021

If you want to preserve the existing participants, you'll want to do it like this:Screenshot 2021-09-21 150546.png

Valentin R. October 25, 2021

@Paul Krueger How did you achieve this? I am trying to do the same thing for a custom fields (user groups) but it lets me choose either "copy from" or "set value". Can get both in one field like you have it.

Valentin R. October 25, 2021

Hm, looks like it only works with the "request participants" type of field. Doesn't work the same with a user group field.

Krishna Prasad December 29, 2021

Paul - You are totally awesome, fixed my issue . :)

Julian Governale
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 3, 2023

@Paul Krueger exactly what I was looking for since we add request participants when certain conditions are met but need to preserve the original participants. 

Jo September 19, 2023

Hi @Paul Krueger , I tried your solution but it’s not working for me. The participants that were cc’d in the emailed request are being overwritten by the name that I put as the name to add to the list of the cc’d participants.

Do you by any chance know of another workaround?

@Julian Governale  are you also able to share your solution if it worked for you.

Julian Governale
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 25, 2023

@Jo  

I do the following for my situation which is different than the OP's questions but here is my rule. 

We use the assets in JSM to map key associates to applications or services.  If specific criteria is met during the intake of the request, those app owners/service owners are added as request participants so they are in the loop of the request. 

Trigger: Field change (Impact)

1. Capture Existing Request participants in a variable
  2. Log the current Request participants to the log
  3. Edit the request participants field and set the previous request participants (variable) and the Owned By users tied to the impacted service

For some background, Impacted Service is a custom assets object type field on our request type.  The owned by field is the user attribute of that field and that value needs to be included in the request/issue if the request or issues impact the company. 

Hope this helps!

add-users-to-request-particpants-automation.jpg

Jo September 29, 2023

Thanks @Julian Governale 

I will try that

1 vote
Parvaneh Zand
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 21, 2020

Hi @Yusuf Adam Kwong ,

All options you've tried, are in Set Value operation.

You should click on '...' icon and select Copy From

and make sure Add to existing values checkbox is selected.

autmtn.jpg

0 votes

Hi Parvaneh,

Many thanks for your response. However the above copies from another field. The rule I want to create is to add a specific customer to the ticket on create without overwriting the value.

Regardless I have tried creating a custom field, have that filled by another rule (rule B) on Issue Create and then use this rule (rule A) to copy to Request Participants but rule A always goes before rule B. Worse still, rule A with 'Add to existing values' still overwrites Request Participants when the custom field is empty. I only notice this behavior on Issue Create

Zita Bagi
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 27, 2020

Hi, I have the exact same problem right now and I haven't found the solution yet. :(

Per Löfgren
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 25, 2021

Same problem for me.  That checkbox "Add to existing values" seems to be bugged

Steven Borne July 5, 2021

Hi everyone, I guess that no one find an answear to this problem :( ?

0 votes

image.png

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders