Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Automation fails because two fields in the system have the same name

albert_pinto April 19, 2021
I am trying to set a severity when multiple conditions exists. The automation validates successfully but fails when a ticket is created and fails to set the severity.

The problem is there are two fields in the system, one is a previous custom field we had created for severity and the other exists from JIRA Service management. I was wondering, what is the best way to fix the issue, by not purging the two severities.

Action details:

Issue condition

The following issues passed:WS-17

Edit issue

No fields or field values to edit for issues (could be due to some field values not existing in a given project):WS-17Found multiple fields with the same name and type: .Severity (com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.customfieldtypes:select)

2 answers

2 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 20, 2021

@albert_pinto -

When setting up automation, you need to specify the which field that you want to use.  In your case where you have two fields with the same name, you may selected the wrong "Severity" field in your setup.  I would recommend that you should rename your custom field "Severity" to something else (i.e. "Issue Severity") to differentiate your custom field with JSM's system field.

Hope this helps.

Best, Joseph Chung Yin

Jira/JSM Functional Lead, Global Infrastructure Applications Team

Viasat Inc.

albert_pinto April 25, 2021

One severity is from the JIRA service management product & the other we use for all our internal tickets and it's current production type.The first one I can't because it's something that came from JIRA service management & I don't know what impact it will do to the Service management product. I am open to deleting the one for Service management. Please advice if you think that is reasonable.

albert_pinto May 10, 2021

I removed the duplicate severity type & it worked without any issues.

0 votes
Answer accepted
Dirk Ronsmans
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 20, 2021

Hey @albert_pinto ,

Could you maybe share how you are setting the value? Is this through the edit issue properties or are you passing a "advanced" json?

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events