Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Automation based on user trends

David Wadham December 16, 2020

I'm wondering how I can train an entire organisation to see the benefits of using the service portal rather than exclusive raising issues in the email channel. So far we've really only framed this as something that benefits us. In my opinion, the best approach is to find the users who regularly submit tickets via the email channel, and if 10 of them come in from that user within, say, 1 week, a message goes to them specifically saying "we've noticed you're using the email channel a lot — have you considered the benefits of using our portal?".

I'm hoping the solution will be based entirely in Jira Automation, but would happily consider ScriptRunner or something, if someone can actually show me evidence of similar use cases. In general, I'd like to be able to base rules on the number the reporter has done something within a period of time.

I have a similar plan involving rate limiting on high priority issues. I do want users to be able to set their own priority. Overall they actually use it pretty responsibly. Some users do not, and I would like to have a rule that says if the reported has submitted more than 1 issue in the last week with a priority >= 'high', their priority will be lowered and a comment appended explaining what constitutes an appropriate use of 'high'.

I've found pieces of a solution to this here and there, but I'm curious as to whether anyone has attempted what I'm attempting, or if someone can point out why my approach is flawed. Tunnel vision and all that.

2 answers

2 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Daniel Ebers
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 24, 2020

@David Wadham 

For the priority discussion (which sounds far too familiar to me) I would probably not go down the automated route. Look, an user which printer is jamming paper is for that specific individual "critical" (critical as in "I need to have the document printed out, my boss is literally breathing down my neck as his meeting begins in 5 minutes - needing the paper) but projected on the whole universe a broken printer it is not.

Some option if you want to have it is not to show users the "Priority" and have it declared by your team.
Otherwise you could openly share that you will adjust it aligned with a global view on severity towards your business (one broker printer is not the end of the world = priority: lowest).

This would include user "training".

The rate limiting is probably somewhat trickier. Maybe some Automation experts here can come up with an idea (to be honest I would not implement it right now - as it provides no overall 'huge value').

David Wadham January 5, 2021

I agree entirely with your point about the user's view on priorities. Unfortunately the convention whereby a user determines the urgency of their own issue predates my existence at the org, and it's an expectation now baked into our user base. My compromise here will be to set the priority based on form fields that aren't labelled as such, ie a service outage request type will have radio buttons for the user to select an impact level such as 'service degraded' or 'service unavailable', with an automation rule that acts upon that to assign a new priority value.

I'll continue to brainstorm ideas for how to engage the interest of a mostly remote user base without it coming across as "emails from IT" which I assume are mostly filtered to spam by now... hopefully I can plant some seeds with a few key staff and spread the word of mouth that the portal doesn't suck like it used to.

Thanks for taking the time to answer.

Like Dave Liao likes this
0 votes
Answer accepted
Dave Liao
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 18, 2020

@David Wadham - consider adjusting your portal's customer notification for "Request Created" to include a link to your portal (for future requests)?

Encourage users to use that link so that their requests can be routed to the right team(s) more quickly because they can choose their exact Topic they're writing in about, or by picking the right Priority value, etc.

Hope this suggestion helps your team increase service portal adoption!

David Wadham January 5, 2021

Done and done! At the possible risk of coming across as spammy, I've also created an automation rule for emailed issues which emails the user back linking them to a Confluence article on how to get IT's attention more quickly. Cheers!

Like Dave Liao likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events