Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Automation - Unknown fields set during transition

phil.americus December 7, 2020

I have automation set up so that when an issue transitions into status X it will automatically close it if a certain field is set. When I look at the audit log, sometimes it completes with an error (see below). The "Resolution" field is not used by the rule at all, so why is it complaining about it?

The audit log has this in it:

Action details:

Issue condition

The following issues passed:

EKM-5064

Transition issue

Unknown fields set during transition. Field may not be on transition screen. Fields ignored -

Resolution (resolution)

Transitioned issues to

Closed

7 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Sean Kubin September 25, 2021

Instead of transitioning the issue and setting the resolution in one action, try splitting them.

So, transition the issue, then create a new action to update the resolution.

For example:

automation.png

Flavien Gache
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 17, 2023

This solved my issue, and your answer was not even accepted.

I corrected this mistake. Thanks for the tip. Automation seems to hate when you change the Resolution on a transition block. I don't know why though.

Like # people like this
3 votes
Robert Horan
Solutions Partner
Solution Partners provide consulting, sales, and technical services on Atlassian products.
May 10, 2021

Hi @phil.americus 

Have you tried deselecting this?

deselect.png

phil.americus May 10, 2021

@Robert Horan I have been getting less errors from the automation recently. I just checked the last error and got this:

2021-05-11_9-28-20.jpg

I get "Destination status could not be resolved".

Guillermo May 28, 2021

This worked for me.  Thanks!

Like Robert Horan likes this
Robert Horan
Solutions Partner
Solution Partners provide consulting, sales, and technical services on Atlassian products.
June 4, 2021

@phil.americus Sorry for the delay in responding!  I didn't see this until now.  Destination status could not be resolved sounds like there is no transition available.

2 votes
Olive Sun June 21, 2021

Has this been resolved? I just met the same issue. The following error message displayed:

"Unknown fields set during transition. Field may not be on transition screen. Fields ignored -Resolution (resolution)"

I checked 1) the Workflow Post Function never set the resolution value, 2) Not select resolution in Automation.

Snipaste_2021-06-21_23-20-44.png

Sankalp Chugh June 29, 2023

@Olive Sun 

I fixed that issue by setting a transition screen (I used Transition: Comment Only) for that transition.

Sankalp

1 vote
Jonathan Le May 7, 2021

@Robert Horan @phil.americus We have two different processes at work. The error is coming from the Automation and not a Post Function of a workflow transition.

Also, Jira built-in System Events states 

Issue closed : An issue has been closed. (Note that an issue may be closed without being resolved)

If we can assume...

1. Automation fires first
  2. The error is more cryptic than it appears and that it logs this error because it can not successfully change the resolution to Resolved because it is already Resolved.
  3. The order of the Automation Transition issues are not in order of the execution logic

Then perhaps this is what's going on.

1. Issue status is set to X.
  2. Automation saw that X was set.
  3. Automation transitions the issue to Closed.
    1. Transition to Closed sets the resolution to Resolved
  4. Automation attempts to sets the resolution to Resolved, but fails.

The solution could be...

• add a post function to your transition so that the resolution is set to Done since we know that the system event Issue closed doesn't add a resolve.

transition closed.png

• Remove the resolution from the Automation Transition Issue and rely on the Transition to Closed post functions to set your resolve.

automation.png

I am of the belief that the System Events are apart of the Legacy Automations that Jira says they want to deprecate. Also, my apologies is not written as a 1:1 to the fore mentioned use-case. Solution bullet #1 may be all that you need to do.

Robert Horan
Solutions Partner
May 7, 2021

I'm 99% sure this is the problem:

Capture 2021-05-07 at 18.29.07.png

Like Guillermo likes this
Jonathan Le May 10, 2021

Agreed, rather than not defining a resolution as my last image shows you should deselect Resolution from the option "Choose fields to set..."

0 votes
phil.americus December 7, 2020

@Clark Everson , @Ravi Sagar _Sparxsys_ 

Here's the post functions that I have:

To state X:

The following will be processed after the transition occurs

1. The Assignee of the issue will be set to Phil Americus.
  2. Set issue status to the linked status of the destination workflow step.
  3. Add a comment to an issue if one is entered during a transition.
  4. Update change history for an issue and store the issue in the database.
  5. Re-index an issue to keep indexes in sync with the database.
  6. Fire a Generic Event event that can be processed by the listeners.

From X to Closed:

The following will be processed after the transition occurs

1. Set issue status to the linked status of the destination workflow step.
  2. Add a comment to an issue if one is entered during a transition.
  3. Update change history for an issue and store the issue in the database.
  4. Re-index an issue to keep indexes in sync with the database.
  5. Fire a Issue Closed event that can be processed by the listeners.

The "Resolution" field never gets set.

There is one transition screen that sets the Resolution when moving to the Resolved state. Even when setting the state to Resolved and then to X, I also get the same error.

Clark Everson
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 9, 2020

Are you trying to set the resolution from the workflow or from the automation? Whichever one you did maybe also try doing the other. If in the automation that you haven’t done it for have that be the first action to complete 

Robert Horan
Solutions Partner
May 3, 2021

@phil.americus - was this resolved? I'm curious to know what happened.

phil.americus May 3, 2021

@Robert Horan Hi. Since it happens infrequently, I haven't had the time to look into it any deeper, I just delete those emails.

0 votes
Ravi Sagar _Sparxsys_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 7, 2020

Hi @phil.americus 

The error seems to be indicating towards an issue with the transition screen.

As suggested by @Clark Everson check your workflow transition's post function, check if some field values as set and are those values there in the transition screen or do you even have a transition screen?

Ravi

0 votes
Clark Everson
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 7, 2020

How is the automation set? And are their workflow triggers that set fields?

I would check the automation and possibly share that as well.

the only other place based on what I see is the workflow itself. This automation seems to trigger a transition change to closed. It appears that resolution is set to do something(which it should do something). You should make sure the resolution is still being set.

if that isn’t it I think we need more information though.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events