Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Automation: How do I automate changing the issue type upon receiving emails from certain emails?

Fred Lumiere May 15, 2020

I created an automation to convert incoming emails from our monitoring system to request type "Alert" which is part of issue type "Alert" but it won't let me change the issue type in the Automation tool.

So I tried to just change the request type since that is available in the Automation tool, but I get errors saying "The request type is not applicable to issue type of the given request".

How do I automate changing the issue type upon receiving emails from certain emails?

JiraServiceDeskError.png

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 15, 2020

Hi Fred, note that there are two Automations in a JSD project. The original OOTB Automation, which it appears you are using, and Project Automation which is associated with the acquisition of Automation for Jira.

With that said, the original Automation does not allow moving an issue from one issuetype to another. However, if you simply wanted the Request Type to be “Alert” consider adding it as a RT for the Issuetype in question. This should allow you to then change the RT via your current automation. Now if you need to change the Issuetype you might check Project automation to see if the option exists. TBH, I’m not sure as I have not attempted. The challenge with changing the Issuetype via automation is that there are generally conflicts that require a decision/choice to be made which generally mean a human is needed. If you have ever used Move operation you would have experienced this.

Hi Jack,

Thanks for the quick response.

So this is the OOTB automation which is still customizable right?

https://share.apiant.com/qGudb8nP

Where is the other "Project Automation" you refer to?

Also, how is this done? 

"if you simply wanted the Request Type to be “Alert” consider adding it as a RT for the Issuetype in question."

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 15, 2020

Yes correct on the automation. Certainly it is quite useful but not as powerful as the A4J version. Eventually the two will become one. What that means exactly I’m unsure. TBH, I like will be looking to convert all of my existing automations to A4J as my bet is that that is the future of automation within JSW/JSD. Project Automation in a JSD project (today) is at the bottom of the sidebar under Project settings. Note for JSW project there is only the “project automation” and it is labeled Automation. Confusing enough? 😔

so given you already have an “Alert” RT (?) then it is already associated with an issue type so either you could create say “Alert1” and associate to a different Issuetype or you could remove the previous “alert” and read and associate to the desired Issuetype. This is all done one project settings > request types.

Wow, you blew my mind in two ways:

1. Your generosity is helping me

2. The revelation of this powerful Project Automation feature

Thanks Jack - will try this out.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin