Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Automation Configuration User

Miriam Hopton June 11, 2020

Is there a way to change the configuration user for the Automation part in ServiceDesk? We have a user that is no longer with the company and the automation rule is assigned on his username. I would like to have the global setting set to myself but there is no other option in the drop down when I try to change. I can only modify the rules manually but I cannot modify all. I also updated the Project Lead to myself (it used to be under that user).

3 answers

2 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Joshua Sneed Contegix
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 11, 2020

Hi Miriam,

Check out the Rule run options section of Atlassian's Automating your service desk documentation. You can choose to Run as the user who triggered the rule (under Project Settings > Automation > Options) or change the default Run as user (under Project Settings > Automation > Change default event user). Cheers!

Thank you so much, Joshua! I tried that exact thing (thank you for the direction and details)! It does not have another option to select another user, which is weird as I am an admin and the project lead in this project. So odd! Do you know if there is another setting somwhere?

Joshua Sneed Contegix
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 11, 2020

Hi Miriam,

It looks like you might be on Cloud. Try the following:

To change the default run-as user, go to Automation > Configuration (settigns icon). Make sure the person you choose has permission to perform all the actions that you might try to automate in all your rules.

From Advanced automation rule options. Cheers!

Thank you again, Josh!  Yes, we are using the Cloud ServiceDeskAutomation_configuration_modify.png.

Its odd, I went through all of the rules and automation settings, and the user I am trying to remove, does not have access to the Project (I removed all linked rules and removed from the project). I still for some reason I am unable assign anyone else, my name is not even an option. This is very odd!

Joshua Sneed Contegix
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 11, 2020

Hi Miriam,

Welcome. Your arrow is pointing to the auto-complete drop-down, but the only option available is already in the field. Have you tried clearing Craig from the field before trying to find yourself? Yes, I understand that is a basic question and might be a bit offensive. I don't mean to be, but this definitely seems odd and might be a bug that requires Atlassian assistance to get past. Cheers!

Like Miriam Hopton likes this

1. Not offended at all!

2. The obvious was right there, thanks to your help. The ONE thing I did not try was literally clearing Craig's name and typing my name. I was expecting a username drop down to select from. 

With that said, I was able to do so and assigned myself the automation. THANK YOU SO MUCH! Case closed.

Katja Huss December 23, 2021

@Miriam Hopton  Does your solution still work? if yes, which rights do you have?
It does not work for me and I wonder if this is due of legacy automation page now.
Best regards, Katja

0 votes
Answer accepted
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 11, 2020

Hello Miriam,

Are you talking about the Run Rule As option that is a setting for each Service Desk Automation rule?

Can you provide a screen image of what you're viewing?

Thank you so much, Trudy for the fast response! I was able to change the rules manually one by one, but there is the main configuration I would like to modify and change to myself. When I select the drop-down, it states no other options. :( I do not know where to override and/or modify the settings to allow myself as the option. I am an admin for the whole JIRA software and ServiceDesk.
Automation_configuration_modify.png

0 votes
Omar Hutchens July 18, 2022

So the other option that I don't think was addressed and putting in my 5 cents for future searchers is changing the Automation Configuration User default. 

Path: 

Legacy Automation > Configuration icon > Search "Automation for JIra" > Save.

Now when you click and look at a rule you have the automation for Jira option. 

Screen_Shot_2022-07-18_at_8_36_48_AM.png

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events