Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Automatically adding an Organization, or Request Participants to tickets.

Patrick Ricciardi
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 12, 2019

In our service desk  (on Cloud) there is a certain class of tickets that some users would like to be able to reference, even if they are not the reporter. I'd like to automatically have either an Organization added, or the specified users added as Request Participants.

In my first attempt, I created an Automation that filled a custom people picker field when the created ticket was of the correct type. When this ticket transitioned to complete this custom field was copied over to the Request Participants field. This worked, but it overwrote the values in the Request Participant field already.

Next, I attempted doing the same thing using a Custom text field for Organizations and tried copying that over to the Organizations field during a transition. This did not work. Organizations must be a specific type of field that can't be copied as text. I tried doing the reverse (copying from the Org field to the text field) and the value did pass over, but copying that value fails to do anything.

Without using an outside scripting tool does anyone have any ideas on how I would be able to accomplish the task I am trying to do? For now, I am going to subscribe to a filter and add the Organization using a bulk edit weekly.

Thanks for any help that can be offered.

4 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 14, 2019

Hi Patrick,

The built-in Automation in Jira Service Desk is very limited. We have many feature requests suggesting the improvement of automation:
- https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSDCLOUD-2058
- https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSDCLOUD-6197
- https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSDCLOUD-6257
- https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSDCLOUD-5916

In this case, I would suggest the add-on Automation for Jira that gives the ability to edit the Request participants and Organization fields and it has more "If/Else" and "Then".
There are the paid version and the free version that you can use 300 free rule executions per calendar month.
- Automation for Jira
- Automation for Jira - Cloud Lite

That would be the workaround for now, until those feature requests are implemented.

Regards,
Angélica

Patrick Ricciardi
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 14, 2019

I was afraid of that! Thank you for your response.

For now I'm going to stick with the manual approach and take another look at the plug-in later.

I'll be voting on those tickets. Thank you.

Like Angélica Luz likes this
Mahmoud ElMarakshy December 13, 2019

Hi Anglelica, 
I tried finding the "edit the Request participants and Organization fields" in the Automation add-on in Jira and I could not. 

I am trying to achieve 
WHEN: a new ticket is created
IF: customer=x,y,z 
THEN: add Request Participant = organizationA

Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 13, 2019

Hello Mahmoud,

Thank you for reaching out to Atlassian Community!

When using the Automation for Jira, the option to add Participants or Organizations are on the “Edit issue” action.

Please, go to the automation and on “Action” select “Edit issue” and add select the desired fields.

Screenshot 2019-12-13_17-14-06-801.png

Regards,
Angélica

Mahmoud ElMarakshy December 13, 2019

I think the reason i can not find it is because i am using the Server Lite version, am I correct?
Automation for Jira - Server Lite 
Automation for Jira 

Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
December 23, 2019

The Server version should have the same options.

When you select the "Edit issue", does it show all fields?

I'm asking because when we create an automation, it should show all available fields on the instance.

Philipp Richter February 26, 2020

Hi Angélica,

On my side I am not able to see the field "Request Participant" when clicking "Edit issue".
How can I activate that?

Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
February 27, 2020

Hi @Philipp Richter

The fields should show by default because the automation can be applied to any project.

Screen Recording 2020-02-27 at 10.41 AM.gif

Regards,
Angélica

4 votes
jose November 18, 2020

This is possible with Automation.

I spent a few hours in this hole but now we have a solution in place. Perhaps it was part of the recent updates.

If you go Project Settings > Automation and create a new rule, once you select your trigger you can select "Edit Issue" as one of the options. In this option you can choose the "Organization" or "Request Participant" field. 

FYI that took me a while to find out, if you want to "add" (rather than replace), you need to select two values: "Copy from Issue" and your new organization. 

Hope this helps folks. 

Jane Nguyen January 13, 2021

Thank you, Jose! This information was useful and I was able to set up an automation today

3 votes
G Ayers February 7, 2020

Unfortunately, I tried using the automation, and neither Organization nor Participants is in the list of fields to select.

Ioan_Popovici March 17, 2020

Same for jira service desk

Like Alba Artal likes this
Ioan_Popovici March 17, 2020

Never mind it's a global option,

Settings (Cogwheel) / System / Automation

Like Jon R likes this
Jon R July 17, 2020

Thank you, would have never found that.

jose November 18, 2020

For Service Desk cloud this option exists in the Automation actions, it is just part of the "Edit issue fields". 

Harsh
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 8, 2023

Is this option available in jira service desk server? 

1 vote
sourabh.kamra January 3, 2023

Just related to this topic.

@jose Thanks, I was able to set the rule to add a default participant, whenever an issue was created.

However, now my requirement is that if there a specific list of reporters which need to add that participant by default, while raising an issue. How do I do that ?

Thanks

Sourabh

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events