Automated links for similar issue description field with same reporter and NOT 'Done' status

Robert Munoz November 15, 2021

I'm testing a simple automation rule to automatically link duplicate issues.

------

When issue created

For Similar issue description

Then: Link issue to   Trigger Issue -> duplicates: Trigger issue

--------

I'd like to add two more requirements. One, the reporter has to be the same (as well as similar description). Two, do not link if prior duplicate is 'Done' status. This seems like an easy to-do task but having problems. I think two added requirements are New Condition IF statements?

Any help would be much appreciated. 

2 answers

2 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Gaurav
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 16, 2021

Hello @Robert Munoz 

Based on the current Automation templates available, I do not see any option to identify if the issue description is similar.

The closest option I can think of is to compare the description against a predefined text or to the description of an earlier issue.

The complete list of templates can be referenced here.

Robert Munoz November 16, 2021

Thanks for the feedback @Gaurav I'm using the 'Similar Description' option in the Branch rule.Screen Shot 2021-11-16 at 8.43.55 AM.png

I've figured out how to filter on Status != 'Done' for example by placing the New Condition downstream in the branch just before the Link of the Similar description, see below. However, I don't think the 'Reporter Is' is filtering on all issues with the same Reporter. Perhaps it needs to be in the branch downstream of Similar description as well?

Screen Shot 2021-11-16 at 8.51.08 AM.png

Robert Munoz November 17, 2021

Thanks @Gaurav 

That seemed to work. I went with issue.reporter.emailAddress since the email I'm testing from is not a registered user with a profile name. Please see below. I think that would still be safe to keep that way when we go live. 

This type of action, capture and store, that you've mentioned above would be the process if I wanted to be specific with using a smart value, (sort of a regex), for the description field as well? I'd like to substitute the Similar Requests panel/sensitivity slider with a string search and match say the first 100 characters of the description in order to determine duplicate issue. Have you dealt with these types of smart values text fields before?

Thanks again!

Screen Shot 2021-11-17 at 11.13.33 AM.png

Dolores Rhyme September 6, 2023

Hi @Robert Munoz ,

Asking for help🙏. Trying to set up this rule like this

2023-09-06_19-32-49.png

Start with testing the rule creating the same ticket as in the backlog, because I've read that the rule checks not only description 2023-09-06_19-24-22.png

But it doesn't link anything, and Audit log tells that No actions performed. I can get it why. It's so simple at first sight.

I will be grateful for the help because struggle with this rule for a couple of hours already:(((

0 votes
Answer accepted
Gaurav
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 16, 2021

Hello @Robert Munoz 

Thanks for sharing the possibility of finding issues with a similar description. This would be really helpful.

In order to compare the reporter of the trigger issue and issue with a similar description, you will need to capture and store the reporter of the trigger issue. This can be achieved in the manner depicted in the screenshot below.

Please let me know if this serves the purpose.

Kindly accept the answer if it helps.

Link Similar Issue.JPG

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events