Automate Parent Ticket Creation

Cory Cigas April 29, 2021

Hello everyone, I am new to Jira so was hoping to ask a few questions. This one specifically is how to create a Parent ticket automatically.

The team I am apart of likes to have our tasks all associated to a parent ticket. There are different categories so there could be multiple parent tickets as well.

I was hoping to get some help with making this happen. That once a task is created and assigned a date, a parent ticket is then created and assigned the same date. Then for every task created under that same category and date, those then get assigned to the same parent ticket.

Is this even possible anyway?

Thank you

3 answers

0 votes
Daniel Ebers
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 7, 2021

Hi @Cory Cigas

after re-reading your requirement I do believe the following rules applies rather than the previous one - however, I am still not clear how you define the 'parent', for now I assumed as an "Epic" which made the new rule look like:

grafik.png

I am now really interested what you find out when you test all this.

Cheers,
Daniel

0 votes
Daniel Ebers
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 7, 2021

Hi @Cory Cigas

I did a few tests using Automation lately on this but I am not sure if I fully understand your setup and/or requirement.

You say that "once a task is created and assigned a date" a parent ticket should be created. Could you please be more elaborate on this?
I could image a task which is then linked to another task. From my understanding you are not referring to a sub-task because you could not create one if it had not already a "parent".

In your second post you stated if "there are no parent tickets on that due date" - do you mean by that if there are no linked tickets with the same due date?
From my understanding the parent is where you make the changes, correct?grafik.png

Please check and let us know if this helps.

Regards,
Daniel

0 votes
Robert Wen_ReleaseTEAM_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 29, 2021

There's a variety of ways to create a new issue based on some action.  You could look at:

1. Automation that performs issue creation when the task is updated to meet your criteria.

2. Scripting (may require an app like Scriptrunner) to execute from a workflow post-function.

Hope this helps.

Cory Cigas April 29, 2021

Im trying out automation now but stuck on it actually.

Trying to do:

When due date is set, and the issue is a task, and there are no parent tickets on that due date, then create a parent ticket.

But I am stuck on the no other parent ticket on due date part.

Robert Wen_ReleaseTEAM_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 29, 2021

Maybe you should add an additional condition: and no parent ticket is linked to the task.  An additional action would be to link the newly-created parent ticket to the task.

That way, it stays to a 1:1 mapping (which is what I think you want).

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events