Next:
badges earned

Your Points Tracker
Challenges
Leaderboard
  • Global
  • Feed

Badge for your thoughts?

You're enrolled in our new beta rewards program. Join our group to get the inside scoop and share your feedback.

Join group
Recognition
Give the gift of kudos
You have 0 kudos available to give
Who do you want to recognize?
Why do you want to recognize them?
Kudos
Great job appreciating your peers!
Check back soon to give more kudos.

Past Kudos Given
No kudos given
You haven't given any kudos yet. Share the love above and you'll see it here.

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Automate Parent Ticket Creation

Hello everyone, I am new to Jira so was hoping to ask a few questions. This one specifically is how to create a Parent ticket automatically.

The team I am apart of likes to have our tasks all associated to a parent ticket. There are different categories so there could be multiple parent tickets as well.

I was hoping to get some help with making this happen. That once a task is created and assigned a date, a parent ticket is then created and assigned the same date. Then for every task created under that same category and date, those then get assigned to the same parent ticket.

Is this even possible anyway?

Thank you

3 answers

There's a variety of ways to create a new issue based on some action.  You could look at:

1. Automation that performs issue creation when the task is updated to meet your criteria.

2. Scripting (may require an app like Scriptrunner) to execute from a workflow post-function.

Hope this helps.

Im trying out automation now but stuck on it actually.

Trying to do:

When due date is set, and the issue is a task, and there are no parent tickets on that due date, then create a parent ticket.

But I am stuck on the no other parent ticket on due date part.

Maybe you should add an additional condition: and no parent ticket is linked to the task.  An additional action would be to link the newly-created parent ticket to the task.

That way, it stays to a 1:1 mapping (which is what I think you want).

0 votes
Daniel Ebers Community Leader May 07, 2021

Hi @Cory Cigas

I did a few tests using Automation lately on this but I am not sure if I fully understand your setup and/or requirement.

You say that "once a task is created and assigned a date" a parent ticket should be created. Could you please be more elaborate on this?
I could image a task which is then linked to another task. From my understanding you are not referring to a sub-task because you could not create one if it had not already a "parent".

In your second post you stated if "there are no parent tickets on that due date" - do you mean by that if there are no linked tickets with the same due date?
From my understanding the parent is where you make the changes, correct?grafik.png

Please check and let us know if this helps.

Regards,
Daniel

0 votes
Daniel Ebers Community Leader May 07, 2021

Hi @Cory Cigas

after re-reading your requirement I do believe the following rules applies rather than the previous one - however, I am still not clear how you define the 'parent', for now I assumed as an "Epic" which made the new rule look like:

grafik.png

I am now really interested what you find out when you test all this.

Cheers,
Daniel

Suggest an answer

TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Jira Service Management

ThinkTilt is joining the Atlassian Family!

This morning, Atlassian announced the acquisition of ThinkTilt , the maker of ProForma, a no-code/low code form builder with 700+ customers worldwide. ThinkTilt helps IT empower any team in their or...

852 views 30 33
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you