Autofill a field based on the value entered in another field

Shamanth December 12, 2022

Hello there,

I would like to create an automation in Jira where I can set the value of Field-2 based on the value entered in Field-1. Let me explain my case in detail below:

The user enters location codes which are 3 digit codes into Field-1 which is a text field. Below is a sample list.

623 -- APAC

021 -- APAC

056 -- EMEA

889 -- EMEA and so on..

Now when the user enters 123 or 021 in Field-1, the automation should populate APAC in Field-2. There can be hundreds of codes for APAC, EMEA and so on.

I was able to achieve this just for one location code, but not sure how I can mention multiple location codes in one rule for matching. Below is the rule for one value which works fine.

rul1.png 

I would like to enter more values in the If condition.

1 answer

1 vote
Frederic Chartrand
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 12, 2022

Hi @Shamanth 

The easy way is to create an "If/else" block in Automation and list all your possible codes (If 623 edit, else if 021 - edit, etc.)

But it's really tedious to create and maintain.

If you have "Assets" in your JSM environment, have you thought about creating "Assets" objects for each code ? 

You could create an object type named Code and enter all your codes there and add an attribute to each code with the region.

This way, your displayed field would show a dropdown list but the person submitting the form could still search for his/her region.

And your Automation would just be : Look for the object in Field A and add the "Region" attribute to Field B.

Hope this helps.

Have a nice day

Frederic Chartrand

FMX Solutions - Gold Solution Partner

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events