Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Auto mail to certain value

Newmindssystems December 7, 2020

Dear community,

I'm a student and currently working on a project. I'm stuck at some automatisation. I want to add an e-mailadress to a ticket as an CC. This e-mail needs to be pulled from a child-value (multi level picklist).

Schermafbeelding 2020-12-07 153308.jpg

in the picture above you can find an example. This email addres needs to be added as CC.

Let say: My agent takes the phone and Customer A from Company A is calling. My agent wants to raise a ticket on Customer A but also wants to inform her Manager, Manager A.

What he does: Fill in E-mail Customer A, Pick Parent-value *This is the company* and Pick the child-value *This is the mangager*. The Child-value needs to be added to the CC so he will always gets updates about the tickets. How do I manage this?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Dirk Ronsmans
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 7, 2020

Hi @Newmindssystems ,

Is the way of working a prerequisite?

You have a couple of options imo:

1) Get an addon like Just Email This Issue and build email templates with that. It allow you to specificy a separate custom field as the CC. But this would cost you money and you'd need to change your templates/notifications.

2) Just add the Manager as a Customer as well. When the Agent creates a ticket they can put the customer that calls as the reporter and the manager as a Request participant.

If you need to have the distinction of having first the selection of a company and then a manager, you could use an automation rule to add that custom manager field as a Request Participant (and thus sharing the ticket with this person). As it is shared he/she will also recieve all updates.

dear dirk,

I Realy like the second option but can you add 2 reporters, if yes how?

greeting, Gio

I tried to add the Manager with an automation rule, but i seems that it's not allow to fill this email in the field (It says it does not excist). What should I do?

Dirk Ronsmans
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 7, 2020

well yes and no :)

You can only add 1 reporter but you can add multiple Request Participants. On the issue it is the field that gets entered when you would go on the portal and "share" the issue with this person.

Request participants are considered customers of the same organisation you'd like to keep in the loop of updates.

It's perfectly possible that you will not be able to add them immediatly (cause they don't exist). You'll need to first add the manager as a Customer on your project.

I assume you created the Reporter as a customer too? So that would be at the same place (open your project -> Customers)

i suggest taking a look here: 

https://confluence.atlassian.com/confeval/jira-service-management-evaluator-resources/jira-service-management-managing-customers-in-jira-service-management

https://confluence.atlassian.com/servicemanagementserver/adding-request-participants-939926441.html#:~:text=To%20do%20so%2C%20go%20to,add%20them%20to%20your%20request.

Newmindssystems December 8, 2020

As I understand i firstly need to create the manager and then I can add it as request participants. I want to auto fillin the participants request field based on the child value shown earlier. Is this possible using an automation rule?

I currently have the following auto rule, but is does not seem to work.

Schermafbeelding 2020-12-08 091148.jpg

Can you give me some advice or help me?

Dirk Ronsmans
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 8, 2020

Hi @Newmindssystems ,

The rule you have right now will copy the request participant from a trigger issue to the current issue.

So you're basically copying the empty value to the request participants :)

Your dropdown field, does it just contain the e-mail address of some users? (and what type of field is it? Single select?)

I'll see if I can test it locally then.

my dropdown list is made by the following rules: Parent Value = Organisation

Child Value= Email adress

I need the Child value to be the request participant.

Dirk Ronsmans
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 8, 2020

@Newmindssystems ,

I've been trying to build you a working solution but seems to be stuck on sometihng.

With a cascading list (as you have) we can get the value with {{issue.customfield_[id].child.value}} that would then return the email address that you entered there.

However, when we add that to the request participants, you get the error:

ISD-8 (Could not find usernames: xxxx@gmail.com (customfield_10023))

The automation (which is really a REST API call) is expecting the username and not the email address. That however is not so easily found.

The only way to get the accountId (that's what we need) is to use a user picker field. So i'm afraid you're a bit stuck here because of a JIRA limitation that they cannot add a request participant based on the email address.

I'm afraid you'll have to look towards another solution (such as manually adding the request participant or a different email solution).

Might also be good to open a call with Atlassian about this mentioning you'd like to get this added to the automation app.

thank you for thinking along with me. Sadly there is no automated sollution to this problem yet. I will open a call to Atlassian with the problem. For now we have to add the request participant manually.

Like Dirk Ronsmans likes this
Dirk Ronsmans
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 8, 2020

Indeed, doesn't seem advantageous to set a different user picker on the form as it would be the same as just adding the user to the request participants.

They are still working on the Automation to expand it so hopefully we'll be able to do this in the near future!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events