Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Auto assign on ticket creation: Error assigning issues (Forbidden)

Chris Koehler November 13, 2020

I have been recreating my helpdesk rules in the new automation suite offered by Jira but I have been unable to find a working configuration to replicate one of those rules. 

My rule is designed to trigger on ticket creation. If a certain string is in the summary it should auto-assign that ticket to the agent who created that ticket. This produces the following errors:

• The actor is Automation for Jira -  (User 'xxx...' cannot be assigned issues. (assignee))
    • I would be the assignee and have full site admin permissions
  • Actor is the user who triggered this rule - Error assigning issues (Forbidden)
  • I am Actor - Error assigning issues (Forbidden)

I have tried automation editing the assignee fields, changing it to pull assignee from the issue creator, and various other mechanical automation changes. Nothing appears to work. 

I would greatly appreciate any advice or recommendations to fix this. 

Thanks,

Chris

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Dirk Ronsmans
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 13, 2020

Hi @Chris Koehler ,

On your permisson scheme, are you set/part of the users who can

• assign issues
  • be assignable user

?

image.png

Site admin does not automatically mean you are also allowed permission within a project.

Hello @Dirk Ronsmans 

Yes, I have just double-checked via the permissions helper that I have permissions to both assign issues and be assigned issues for this project and ticket in question. 

Dirk Ronsmans
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 13, 2020

Any chance you can screenshot the audit log for your automation and some details of your automation?

Maybe we can see something you might have missed (more eyes could be better :))

If the permissions helper says it should be ok it's strange it fails of course.

Certainly! Images of this are included.

Thank you for your assistance.Jira Automation Audit log.pngAuto assign rule with error.PNG

Dirk Ronsmans
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 13, 2020

Could you maybe show the detail of the assignee action?

I’d like to be sure I recreate it exactly the same in my environment:)

Sure. I tried the two rules included as well as a rule editing issue field > assignee.

Assign user command 2.PNGAssign user command.PNG

John
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 15, 2020

Hi @Chris Koehler 

I can't see any problems with the way you have this setup and I checked for similar bug reports but couldn't find any.

Could you try setting the rule actor as "Automation for Jira" and see if the rule runs correctly? 

Thanks,

John

Dirk Ronsmans
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 15, 2020

@Chris Koehler

I recreated your rule on my environment (full site admin, permissions on the project) in all your variations and don't encounter any issue. Just assigns the ticket to me.

Like John says, the rule looks good.

As it keeps saying "forbidden" I keep thinking permission schemes.. 

Could you also check that there is no workflow property set up to block you from setting the assignee?

Like John likes this
Chris Koehler November 16, 2020

Hey @Dirk Ronsmans  & @John 

Thank you for all of your time and effort in assisting me with this. I have been able to identify and fix the issue. 

I changed the permissions to specifically grant the Automations for Jira user Assign Issue access. I thought it was covered by the atlassian-addons-project-access group, but apparently not.

It's interesting because I have other automations using similar configurations that have no issue assigning to users. I think this problem had something to do with it being a newly created issue. 

Regardless, it's working and my question has been answered.

Thanks!

Chris Koehler

Jira Automation permissions.PNG

Like # people like this
Dirk Ronsmans
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 16, 2020

Great that it works! 

Strangely tho it should work with the access you had set.. but I guess we'll keep it at "if it aint broken anymore, let'ts not try and keep fixing it"? :D

Should something else go wrong, we'll re-investigate then ;-)

Like Kamel Meftah likes this
Brian July 2, 2021

This thread is old now but the workaround Chris provided helped me solve a very similar scenario. Thank you for posting those last pieces Chris. 

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events