Auto Approve without specifying an Approver Jira Service Management

May Liu March 16, 2021

Hi,

Background:

We have max 3 level of approval steps, some tasks require only 1 approval step, some tasks require 2 approval steps, and some tasks require 3 approval steps.

We want to use the same workflow for these 3 level of approval processes but to auto approve the unnecessary approval step(s) for those tasks require less than 3 level of approval steps. The reason not to separate 3 workflows is because users do not really know the approvers or approval steps for the task, so we will set up automation to auto add the approvers into each step and auto approve the unnecessary task based on category selected.

Each Approval step has its own Approver field, and the Transition action is Approve.

The Automation Setting :

• WHEN - Status Changed
  • IF - Issue matches: status = "Waiting for approval - 3rd level" AND "3rd level Approver" is EMPTY 
  • IF - "Non-XY Routine Change Type" = "Blocking Phishing Email"
  • THEN - Transition issue: Approve

According to the Automation log, it seems like it matched to the IF condition, but it did not trigger THEN action. Could you check my setting and let me know how to make it happen ? Thanks.

It is set in a JIRA Service Management Server Sandbox, in the future we will use the Cloud version. We have 2 auto approval scenario. I will be grateful for guidance of how to set up both scenarios.

Below setting is the scenario for tasks require only 2 steps approval. The 3rd step will be auto approved without specifying an approver.

approver is empty.PNG

No approvers selected.PNG3rd level approver is empty.PNG

Below setting is the scenario for tasks require only 1 step approval. The 2nd and 3rd step will be auto approved without specifying an approver.

approver is empty2.PNG

No approvers selected1.PNG2nd & 3rd level approver is empty.PNG

Below is the workflow and the transition :

3 approval steps.png1st level approver.PNG

2nd level approver.PNG3rd level approver.PNG

1 answer

0 votes
May Liu March 21, 2021

I have solved this myself by changing THEN action to 

• THEN - Auto-approve/decline

It can auto approve the ticket without specifying an approver.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events