Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Attachments Disappearing

Theresa Gupta April 10, 2020

Anyone having issues with attachments disappearing on Jira Service Desk?

Our permissions look solid and are in light with attachment guidance and it works most of the time. But on certain days when our team navigates to service desk, the attachment button has disappeared.

Theresa

4 answers

0 votes
Owen Wallis
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 3, 2020

Hi @Giddy, @[deleted],

I just met with Anastasia and her team.

It does sound like it may be related to the Token expiry fix that we are working on with Jira. We did put up one fix but it doesn't look like it fully resolved the issues.

The problem occurs when a browser tab is left open for a while. We think longer than 20minutes. In this time the 'authorisation token' to let the user upload a file expires. So from the front end it looks like the file uploads, but we think in fact this is showing a local preview. When you come back to the ticket a day later, or show the ticket to the customer - then when we try and pull the file from the server it is no longer there.

The change Jira are helping us with, is to refresh this token at the point of upload.

The (not ideal) workaround for now is to refresh the ticket you are working on before adding attachments. It does not have to be a hard refresh, just a browser refresh is fine.

We're really hopeful we can get a fix out for this in the next month.

But if anyone else is having an issue which they think is not related (or just wants a general chat about the Media experience across Atlassian) then you can find a time with me here: https://calendly.com/owallis 

Thanks

Owen

Giddy August 5, 2020

Awesome! Thank you for the followup, @Owen Wallis

I have been advising out users to follow the not-ideal workaround.

Obviously this gets more difficult to explain as our users (~700 strong) encounter the issue sporadically.

Do you have a general sense on release of the fix in Jira Cloud? C2020 Q3? Q4?

Owen Wallis
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 5, 2020

Hi @Giddy

Our quarters are different in Australia - we are in Q1 of FY21 now (Q1 being July, August, September). I believe the Jira team is aiming for end of Q1, early Q2.

I'm watching our internal Jira ticket so I'll update if its going to slip.

Thanks

Owen

0 votes
Giddy July 30, 2020

Anastasia, Alexander & Owen,

We are also experiencing this attachment disappearing issue.

Since roughly 2020/07/24 on Jira Cloud.

We have many users impacted.

I will open a support ticket, but is there a bug or issue report open which we can reference? I have searched pretty much all of the Jira Service Desk and I have been unable to find anything.

Owen Wallis
Atlassian Team
July 30, 2020

Thanks Giddy, myself and some PMs from the JSD team are meeting (over Zoom) with Anastasia next week.

I'm hoping the call will help us diagnose. Feel free to find a time with me here: https://calendly.com/owallis - as perhaps you may have a different use case which will help us understand the issue.

Thanks

Owen

Like Anastasia Gourina likes this
0 votes
Kristina Lemasson April 20, 2020

Yes, I've been experiencing the same problem in Jira for approximately the past 2 weeks.

I've been uploading and attaching files (in my case, PNG images) to Jira issues, and they disappear the next day. If I look at the issue's History, there is no log of the file ever being attached or deleted. But I know they were successfully attached because I always refresh my browser a few times within minutes of attaching files to triple-check that the files are properly attached.

The only "proof" I have is that I wrote a Jira comment saying "Mockup completed and attached to the ticket". :D Next time I will take a screenshot of the History as soon as I attach a file, so I'll have proof if the attachment disappears.

In my case, I'm in a classic project with the "new" issue view.

Owen Wallis
Atlassian Team
April 21, 2020

Hi Kristina,

I'm the Product Manager in the Media team at Atlassian. I look after the attachments and images experience across Jira and Confluence.

The feedback you gave me here helped me push for a fix with the Jira team. As of 10pm Sydney time last night we put up an initial fix for the upload issues which I think relate to what you've been seeing. I checked the analytics again this morning and it appears to have resolved many of the issues.

We do have another fix that the Jira team are helping us on which we think should resolve the final set of upload issues we are aware of. These relate to when you leave a browser window open for a long period of time, come back and try to upload, but then see the upload fail. We added in a similar fix for Confluence recently which greatly reduced upload issues so I'm hoping we'll have the same success in Jira. A fix for this should be coming in the next couple weeks. In the short term refreshing a page which has been open a long time before uploading is the workaround.

Again my apologies for the frustrations around uploading. Specifically in the last couple weeks things have got really bad. I'm sorry it took so long for us to identify this.

If you'd like to talk to me on the above, or on any other issues related to attachments or Media then please feel free to find a time with me: https://calendly.com/owallis/

Thanks

Owen

Like # people like this
Kristina Lemasson April 22, 2020

Thank you so much for looking into this, @Owen Wallis! I truly appreciate it! 

Like Owen Wallis likes this
Anastasia Gourina July 27, 2020

Hi Owen,

We seem to be having the same issue now with our Jira Service Desk cloud. Is it possible to get your advise on the matter?

"When creating the entry, the attachment saved, as I could see them. But it “lost” them later on – and now it can’t seem to find them any more. 

Have you had similar experiences before? It a nuisance as I don’t remember, what I have attached… This happens occasionally and when I come across them and remember, what I attached, I edit the entry and re-attach them.

It doesn’t help that they have removed the list of attachments from the new look."

Feedback from user impacted in our Organisation with this issue.

Regards,

Anastasia

Like Giddy likes this
Owen Wallis
Atlassian Team
July 27, 2020

Hi Anastasia,

Thanks for getting in touch. I'd love to get some more information to help diagnose your issues.

If you're able to find a good time it would be great to talk over Zoom: https://calendly.com/owallis/

If our timezones don't synch up let me know and we can work out another way.

Thanks

Owen

Deleted user July 29, 2020

This problem still exists. 
Classic project, adding video to a ticket and when I go back to the backlog and open the ticket the video is often gone. I say often because sometimes it is still there.
The easiest way to get the result is.
1. Drag a video to the description field of an issue. It uploads and is even playable.
2. Go back to the backlog.
3. Open that issue. It will be empty.

Like Giddy likes this
0 votes
Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
April 13, 2020

Hello Theresa,

Welcome to Atlassian Community!

Just to make sure that we are on the same page, I would like to know if the attachments are not appearing on the ticket or if it's the option to add attachments.

You mentioned on the title that the attachments are disappearing but in the end, you mentioned about the button. 

If it's the attachments, have you checked the History of the ticket if it shows the information about added and removed screenshots?

Is it happening on a next-gen or a classic project?

If it's a classic one, are you using the old or new issue view? 

Regards,
Angélica

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events