Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Assign issue from user picker

Alex Larini September 28, 2020

Hi everybody, I am trying to automatically assign a issue to an operator, which is going to be chosen by the user opening the issue, from a user picker field.

I have found already a lot of script in the community addressing this, but I am sure I had find an option in the Service Desk doing it (I would think post functions, but when I try there I can change the "Assignee" field only to a given value), but I can't anymore.

Any idea of where can I find that option again, or how to workaround?

(The operator is linked also with the department of the user, can it be of any help for a workaround?)

Thanks

1 answer

0 votes
Dirk Ronsmans
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 28, 2020

HI @Alex Larini  and welcome to the community,

As you are on cloud you could use the Project Automation to do this.

If you create a new rule with for example the trigger Issue Created, you can add a action component to assign to a user.

image.png

On that component you can choose the "user to assign to" as smart value.

The smart value would then be: {{issue.yourcustomfieldname}} (for me this is random user in the example)

I feel like this would be your easiest solution.

If you need it on a transition you can also rewrite your automation trigger to run at a different point in time.

This is a basic automation of course, you can make it more complex by checking on the value through an if statement and only setting if there is one, but leaving it as is an empty value will basically be "unassigned"

Does this help you out?

Alex Larini September 30, 2020

Sadly not... I see a different screen than those I saw posted here in the community (and in your comment as well). I am starting to think I have some "different version" or similar, is it possible?

When I go to create an Automation, I have not the assign option.

I can edit the issue, edit the Assignee field, but than it is expecting an absolute value, not a smart one (tried to write as you did with {{ }} but it is just saying that there is no user with that name)

image.png

Scott Kimber December 2, 2022

"Automation" is different, that is the default automation tool that Jira comes with and it isn't great.

The automation system you want that is being shown above will be under the "Project Automation" section of the project settings.  If you are on-prem you will need the "Automation for Jira" app installed in your instance.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events