• Give kudos
  • Received
  • Given

Leaderboard

• Global

Trophy case

Kudos (beta program)

Kudos logo

You've been invited into the Kudos (beta program) private group. Chat with others in the program, or give feedback to Atlassian.

View group

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Assets management configuration in jira through Insight

Fahad Siddiqui Community Leader Sep 15, 2020

Hi,

@Dirk-ronsmans

I want to create assets management through JSD is this possible through Insight 

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Dirk Ronsmans Community Leader Sep 15, 2020

Hi @Fahad Siddiqui ,

That sure is possible!

Your tag indicates you have jsd server so that will give you a few more options than cloud.

One of the big ones being Insight Custom fields, they allow you to create specific fields of that type that have a IQL (it's a JQL but for Insight: Insight Query Language) to filter out items.

Do you have a specific use case you'd like to discuss?

I can highly suggest installing a trial of the app first so you can play with it a bit. 

After installation you'll get the option to create a template object schema (that is basically your repository within insight) or just start with a blank one.

Going from there you'll have to decide on your structure.

If you elaborate a bit on what exactly you want to do I can help guide you further!

@Dirk Ronsmans thanks for your help.

We do inventory each month by visiting user pc's, were we check if antivirus is running or no. His/her laptop model, what software's are been installed in user pc, printer model and Ip address.

We are looking for something that must be automated. And we should get real time data.

can you help in this in detail.

Dirk Ronsmans Community Leader Sep 15, 2020

@Fahad Siddiqui ,

Then your solution must be 2-fold imo.

1) where do you store the data

2) how do you capture the data

For 1) you can use insight, everything will of course live or die with the model you set up in Insight. Of the top of my head I can think of a few object types being:

- Applications

- Workstations

- Printers

And those would then need to be enriched with attributes.

• Workstation
    • Name
    • Serial Number
    • Service Tag
    • Brand
    • Model
    • Antivirus (yes/no)
    • user
  • Applications
    • name
    • version
    • workstation (as a reference to the workstation table)
  • Printers
    • Name
    • IP

Your main consideration needs to be 

"what do you need as an attribute ON your object (like name/serialnumber) and what do you need as a REFERENCE (such as user/perhaps brand/model which you can define as metadata in a different object type)

Now the capturing of the data that needs to come from somewhere else.

You do have Insight Discovery which is an agentless discovery system you might want to look in to. If you however have something like SCCM running in your environment for software deployment/discovery you can use the Insight Import mechanism to import directly from the SQL database of SCCM in to the object schema.

Much more detail is a bit tricky without knowing your exact environment but I suggest:

• Install the trial of Insight
  • Check in your environment if you have something already doing discovery or check out Insight discovery
  • Do a brainstorm session with your team about how you want your schema to look like.

There are some interresting articles from mindville themselves regarding the creation of an object schema and which things to consider.

https://www.mindville.com/blog/data-modeling-distributed-object-schema-model 

https://www.mindville.com/blog/data-modeling-tips-for-object-types-modeling 

If this is all new to you perhaps consider partnering with a solution partner to help you set up this entire system.

Depending on where you are located take a look here: https://partnerdirectory.atlassian.com/ 

Setting up a CMDB is not something you do in a couple of hours, especially the preparation that goes in to it is a lot of work!

Think of the old saying "measure twice, cut once" :)

Like # people like this

@Dirk Ronsmans thank dirk .. just to clarify more. Right now we don't have any cmdb also no inventory application. I would prefer that insight automatically should take information of network pcs and printers..just wanted to confirm before I start working. Your suggestions are really helpful. And I hope I will succeed..

Dirk Ronsmans Community Leader Sep 16, 2020

@Fahad Siddiqui ,

Good luck! This is a major step in adding more maturity to your processes so take your time to analyze everything properly :)

Like Fahad Siddiqui likes this
Fahad Siddiqui Community Leader Sep 16, 2020

@Dirk Ronsmans thanks for your support and time

thanks for sharing information...

Suggest an answer

TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Jira Service Management

Why upgrade to Jira Service Management Premium?

We often have questions from folks using Jira Service Management about the benefits to using Premium. Check out this video to learn how you can unlock even more value in our Premium plan.  &nb...

227 views 1 6
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you