Ask Your Questions: ITSM Lighting Talks for Jira Service Management

Kate Clavet
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 16, 2020

Do you have follow up questions from one of our lighting talks? Well you've come to the right place. In the coming months we'll be offering various lighting talks on the topic of Jira Service Management and ITSM. After attending any of the talks below, feel free to post your unanswered questions here and we'll be sure to get answers for you. 

If you haven't signed up yet, you can view event details and register here

• Introducing Jira Service Management (on-going) 
  • Jira Service Management: Deep Dive into Incident Management (Nov 18) 
  • Jira Service Management: Deep Dive into Change Management (Dec 2)
  • How high-velocity teams get value from Jira Service Management Premium (Dec 9)
  • Exclusive: Live ITSM Expert Panel (Jan 20) 
  • Exclusive: What’s ahead for Jira Service Management in 2021 (Feb 3) 

Once the talks wrap up we'll take the most asked questions and create an FAQ in the community to share with all attendees. 

Don't forget to register! 

3 comments

John Evans November 20, 2020

I have worked with our IT team over last 3 years to roll out JSD to support external customers (over 100). Customers enter tickets on their customer portal,  and front line team work on supporting those tickets , and if necessary, escalate via backbone into an Internal JIRA project where are development teams reside.

With the new JSM, to me it looks like you are moving away from the external customer domain, and only focusing on Internal customers of an organisation.

During the demo, very little was mentioned about external customers and portal and features. 

Is the new direction to really focus more on ITSM for internal customers only ?  This has me concerned about direction and whether i need to start planning to look at something more focused on external customers. 

Like Kate Clavet likes this
Kate Clavet
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 20, 2020

Hi @John Evans great question! 

We have every intention of continuing to support and expand our robust offerings for the non-ITSM or ESM use cases. For the launch we wanted to highlight ITSM, since that's where the majority of our recent enhancements were made. Many of our customers already know and love our robust request portal and he features it provides, so we wanted to show how we've built out Jira Service Management to support the ITSM use case. 

Hopefully that helps! 

Best,
Kate 

Robert Horan
Solutions Partner
Solution Partners provide consulting, sales, and technical services on Atlassian products.
November 20, 2020

If there is one thing I would like to ask of product marketing, it is to not lose focus on business and non-ITSM users that may see JSM as too IT-centric, and therefore the wrong product for them.  (it has been mentioned to me in the past)

Like # people like this
Kate Clavet
Atlassian Team
November 30, 2020

Thanks for the feedback @Robert Horan ! I'll share it with the rest of the team as well. 

Best,

Kate 

Like Robert Horan likes this
Helen C March 18, 2021

Why is it that in demos and literature it is more focused on internal use rather than internal customers and very little is promoting customer experience? I am aware that the product works well for external but its a hard sell to those focused on customer experience and external use when this is not promoted and then it is perceived that this is for internal use mainly. A little more in the demos and literature on external use and customer experience would go a long way. 

Kate Clavet
Atlassian Team
March 18, 2021

Hi @Helen C  thanks so much for the feedback. Most of the enhancements and changes we made as part of the initial launch of Jira Service Management, were IT Service Management focussed, therefore a lot of the material created as part of this launch aimed to highlight that. What kind of content would be most helpful to you? Thanks! 
Kate 

Helen C March 18, 2021

Hi Kate, What would help is if the demos had a customer experience component throughout in particular for external customers using the portal through to the Service desk then the devs and back again through the customers. 

On the home page for Jira SM the first thing you see is  : 

Meet Jira Service Management

Jira Service Management empowers Dev and Ops teams to collaborate at high-velocity, so they can respond to business changes and deliver great customer and employee service experiences fast.

It would be good to get more of a customer focus as after all we are all here for our customers this promotes a strong devops focus - we need to work well in the backend to support our customers and we need to do it efficiently but if this is not backed by a positive customer experience we are not going to create loyalty and retain customers. 

I think marketing wise anything you can do to emphasize customer experience would help. I do like the product but the way it has been marketed has made it much harder from me to convince others of its value. 

Jason Selby December 10, 2020

Hi Kate,

When will we be able to folder the existing queues we already have? 

vwong
Atlassian Team
December 16, 2020

Hi @Jason Selby , I work with Kate on the product side of JSM. Thanks for leaving the question but just wondering what do you mean by "folder the existing queues", do you mind expanding on that a bit more to help me understand? :) 

Like Jason Selby likes this
Robert Horan
Solutions Partner
Solution Partners provide consulting, sales, and technical services on Atlassian products.
December 16, 2020

Hi @vwong 

I might be making an assumption, but I worked on a team that used folder as a verb, and take it to mean adding items to a folder.

So in this case, will the ability to create folders and add queues to folders be added?

Jason Selby December 16, 2020

What i meant is that, if you create a queue instead of having 100s of different queues

JSM_Queues.JPG

Was the ability to create folders say per team for different types of requests? Do you understand what i mean? as some teams manage certain queues and it would be good to organise the queues?

Dirk Ronsmans
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 17, 2020

and let's not forget a visibility rule on the Queue

Otherwise we'll end up with 100 folders in the end..

Dan W April 2, 2021

I just watched your lightning talk for change management.  for the change requests that you are closing automatically are you using a service account for the assignee?  Most of our developers don't have a JSM license so I am trying to come up with a method of creating a CR without adding licenses for the developers.  Struggling with a method of closing the CR without assigning a developer a license to close the ticket.

Kate Clavet
Atlassian Team
April 5, 2021

Hi @Dan W 
There are a few use cases shown in the Lightning Talk that covers change management, so it does depend on that. For the change requests that we're leveraging the automation to close the change, the Jira Software user does not need a Jira Service Management License. However, if you were to manually edit and close the record in Jira Service Management, the user will need a license for Jira Service Management. 

Hope that helps and thanks for watching! 

Best,

Kate 

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events