Adding ticket Request Status in the email subject

Operations XTN May 3, 2021

Hi there,

is there any chance to add in the subject of the customer notifications email also the status of the ticket (by insert variable menu list (${request.status}) ?

thanks in advance

1 answer

0 votes
Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 3, 2021

@Operations XTN -

In JSM project, you should be able to add the issue status $issue.status to the subject line (via Project Settings > Customer notifications >Templates section even though it is not listed from the Insert variable dropdown list . 

However, this will be used for all of the customer notifications for the project.  We have not tried this setup in our env because the subject line setup is used by all of the customer notifications.

2021-05-03_10-24-41.png

Look forward to your result findings.

Best, Joseph Chung Yin

Jira/JSM Functional Lead, Global Infrastructure Applications Team

Viasat Inc.

Operations XTN May 4, 2021

Much thanks Joseph for the quick reply. I'll check it in the staging env and I will let you know if/how it works.

Cheers!

Operations XTN May 6, 2021

Hello @Joseph Chung Yin,

tried to add in the subject the variable as you advised, but it's not working as expected.

After having added the variable and trying the test email, the variable is not translated and the subject email appears as follows: "*Test email* BB-8 ${issue.status} Trazione insufficiente nella sabbia"

The result is that the variable is considered as text.

Any idea?

Thanks in advance

Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 6, 2021

Hi there...

See if  ${request.status} will work or not.  If it still not working, you only other option will be to insert in the body of the message.

Best, Joseph

Operations XTN May 7, 2021

@Joseph Chung Yin ,

Hilarious situation here.

By adding ${request.status} variable, and sending the Test Email, it works perfectly as expected. Then, If you try to Save the changes, an error comes out: "Email subject contains an invalid variable - ${request.status}"

I'll ask for an improvement, even if, considering that with test email works, I think should be easy and fast.

Thanks a lot

With gratitude

Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 7, 2021

@Operations XTN -

Thanks for your update.  It is up to Atlassian to improve JSM's functionality now.  As mentioned before, your only other option is to add the variable in the email body (maybe format it to display the status as the 1st line of by body).

If my answers provided to your original ask helped, please click accept answer when you have time.

Best, Joseph

Monica Joseph March 11, 2023

Yes, this is an important feature, because it means the customer can be aware of the current workflow for the issue by the subject line itself.

Ryan April 10, 2023

This is important feature to us as well. I came to the same solution and even sent a successful test email with the ${request.status} variable in the subject. It's been over two years since this was first posted. This seems to be an artificial restriction imposed due to the test working without issue. Has there been any movement on this?  

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events