Adding request participants automatically to new request

wolfgang_mueller October 2, 2017

Dear all,

I would like to add automatically a person to "Request participants" when a new request is created.

I tried to use the automation function by creating a rule: WHEN Issue created THEN Edit issue. This doesn't work since the possible field options for "Edit Issue" do not include "Request participants". So that I could select "Request participants" instead of "Assignee" as this screenshot shows.
image.png

I would like to know how I can either add "Request participants" as an option for "Edit Issue" or if there is another way to achieve my goal? The other related questions I have found here, couldn't help me further.

Thank you!

6 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 3, 2017

Hi Wolfgang,

I understand you are wanting to automatically add a user to the request participants when an issue is created in Jira Service Desk.  I am afraid this is not something that Service Desk can do natively at this time.  There is an open feature request for this ability in https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSDSERVER-1530  I would recommend voting/watching that feature request for updates on this.  

The interesting part is that this feature request does list a workaround KB that explains how this could be done with either of two 3rd party plugins for Jira.  Please see the KB How to automatically add request participants when creating an issue

I hope this helps.

wolfgang_mueller October 6, 2017

Thank you for your answer, Andrew. It helps a lot. Thanks again.

Sam March 26, 2020

The method specified in the KB article does not actually write the change to the database, effectively making it useless.

Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 30, 2020

Hi @Sam,

I have every expectation that the work-around in the KB are still valid, but that said these were created a few years ago, so perhaps something has changed since then. 

Could you tell me more about your environment and what you are seeing here?  Are you using Jira Cloud or Jira Server?  If Jira Server, what version are you using of Jira and Jira Service Desk?

Were you following the scriptrunner method, or the automation for Jira method?

Andy

6 votes
Ethan Foulkes November 8, 2017

Hi Wolfgang,

I'm guessing you've solved this by now but just in case I wanted to let you know that the Power Scripts add-on can also do this.

There is a video walking you through it step by step here.

3 votes
Stefan Saikaly January 27, 2020

Hello,

What you can do is create a custom field A (for example) that the user can fill and through the workflow, on request creation, copy the value from custom field A to the request participant field and make sure you set up permissions and notification for that field.

Regards,

RamR February 21, 2020

@Stefan Saikalywhat do you mean by "set up permissions and notification for that field". Were you able to implement this solution for yourself? did that work?

Stefan Saikaly February 21, 2020

Hello,

Yes, since people complained about using the Share button cause it creates a two step work.

We created a field, and copied its value to the request participant field.

As for permissions, you need to add the request participants in the permission scheme in order for them to be able to see the request and the notification scheme in order to get notifications when they are added to the request.

Regards,

RamR February 21, 2020

I am trying this solution and the values from that custom field just wont get copied to the request participants?! Actually I am using Automation for Jira and trying smart value to copy the values.

Can you explain to me in detail how you are attempting to do it?

RamR February 21, 2020

1. it is a create issue trigger

2. I check if the custom field is not empty

3. I edit the issue, 'request participants' -> {{issue.fields.customfield.value}}

no errors, but it just wont copy.

Alright, so the way to do it if you read carefully, is on the CREATE TRANSITION in the WORKFLOW, so between CREATE and the next status, click on the transition and choose POST FUNCTION. Inside, click ADD POST FUNCTION, and inside choose COPY VALUE FROM OTHER FIELD. Inside, you choose the custom field and then the destination field, in your case the request participants.

RamR February 21, 2020

Got it, thank you.

Like Stefan Saikaly likes this
Agent February 23, 2020

hi stefan,

would you know how to achieve this using jira cloud?

post function is not available in jira cloud.

thanks. 

Stefan Saikaly February 24, 2020

Hello,

Unfortunately I never worked Jira cloud yet. but maybe this URL can help you out?

https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiracloud/advanced-workflow-configuration-776636620.html

RamR February 24, 2020

@AgentThe post function is available in cloud as well. I am on cloud and I was able to use post function.

Agent February 24, 2020

@RamR 

please bear with me. 
can you share how you got it to work in your environment? 
i added the custom field CC in the request types. tried to "edit workflow" but no post function available.
went to workflows but nothing's active. im not sure what workflow is being used by the request type. 

image.png

image.png

RamR February 24, 2020

@Agent you should generally see a default work flow under Active. In this case, try looking under the 'Inactive' (click on it and it will expand) and you should assign it to an issue type. If not you need to create a new work flow (look for a create option on that page) and assign it to an issue type. 

Once you have assigned a workflow to an issue type, try editing (preferably in the diagram mode) and look for various transition items including post functions.

0 votes
Bharat Bhushan January 25, 2023

Hi Everyone,

Hope you do well.

I was searching something on the same topic and may be someone has already experienced it.

Our users write to us on support email and that creates a ticket in the service desk. Problem is when they included someone in CC of the email then it does not tag that person to request participants. Is it possible to do that?

Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
January 25, 2023

Yes it's possible. The documentation in Add request participants through email, explains the expected behavior here and links to other documentation that should help:

Agents and project admins can add new customers to a project at any time by including their email address in the “To” or “Cc” field when replying to a request’s email notification. Learn more about users and roles in Jira Service Management.

Depending on your customer access settings and project customer permissions, customers may be able to add people to the project as new customers by including their email address in the “To” or “Cc” field when replying to a request’s email notification. Learn more about how customer access settings impact project customer permissions.

If you want that CC user to have access to the request, then you might need to adjust the Service Management settings for that project so that

1. customers can create their own accounts, and
  2. that customers can share the request with other users. 

If they can't do either of those things, JSM might not be able to grant that user CC'd user access to the request itself.

Andrey Ivanov March 25, 2024

@Andy Heinzer Hi! Maybe you can help me with my problem.
I came across this problem. We have a group in the mail, let’s call it group “A”; it includes several people. When we receive a request to the servicedesk, a person who is not listed in CC, but is in group “A” tries to leave a comment, the ticket is duplicated

Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
March 25, 2024

That is the problem with a distribution list email address.  Jira does not have anyway to determine which users are in that address.  The only way Jira can tell which user should have access to a request is by the specific email addresses added to the request.  Adding a distribution list circumvents this identification process. 

It can be helpful in some cases, but in cases like yours, it causes users in that list that are not in the reporter or requested participants field to not have direct access to the request.   As such, them trying to add a comment will not be permitted, but if the service project allows that user to create a new request, it will do that instead.

In general, I would suggest avoiding the use of a distribution email address within Jira.  Jira can help to avoid the problem if all the users that should be able to comment on that request are in the CC field of the email from the start.  That way they get added to the request (and can see it in the portal as well).

Andrey Ivanov March 25, 2024

@Andy HeinzerCould you please tell me how I can make sure that people from this group end up in the copy?

Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
March 26, 2024

@Andrey Ivanov My suggestion would be to not use a distribution list address with JSM.  Instead add all the individual users email address to the requested participants field within the customer portal OR within the original cc field of the first email to the service project.  That should give those users permissions to see that request and comment on it.   It's that lack of permission that is causing them to create new new requests with the same summary.

Alternatively, you could also reach out directly to our JSM support team.  I can see that you are the a site-admin of a paid subscription, this entitles you to support from our team.  Please create a support request over in https://support.atlassian.com/contact/

Andrey Ivanov March 27, 2024

@Andy Heinzer Hello, thank you very much for your answer. I'll torment you a little more, could you send me instructions on how to do this? I am interested in having these users automatically added there when creating a ticket, or maybe somehow I can make my entire domain added there (@mydomain.com)

0 votes
Ulrika Eriksson April 5, 2022

I want to reopen a ticket when a user in "Requested Participants" field are commenting on an issue. Is this possible or is it only when Reporter comments that the ticket ca be reopened in an automation?

Bharat Bhushan January 25, 2023

Hi Ulrika,

Thanks for raising it. I have the same problem here. may be someone can help?

Thank you,

Bharat

0 votes
Tanmay Saha November 15, 2019

thanks my issue has been fixed ..

Derico Zymn October 10, 2020

Thanks

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events