Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding cc'd users to a new ticket automatically.

Eddie Seasholtz June 25, 2020

I'm really new to Service Desk and have been trying to find the answer to make this work for a few days now. But so far, it's been hit and miss, with no clear answer. I've read threads that say it works automatically, threads that say it won't work unless the cc'd people are already users, and a thread that says to use a third part app to do it. I just want to find a way to make it work consistently...

And there seems to be a lot of people who have asked for this in the forums over the past several years. So maybe I just haven't stumbled on to the right message thread to get me there...

So we have three users (support staff) on our service desk. We manage IT support for multiple companies (our clients) that each have many staff members (users).

I've created a project for each company (our client) so that their staff can send in emails to create help tickets under their respective project (company).

It is common for a client's staff person to cc their supervisor or other people on their team when they report a problem to us for our support staff to address. Likewise, when we solve the problem and notify the client's staff, anyone that was listed on the original email request should be notified.

So the client staff member sends a request for help to their appropriate email address which Jira Service Desk picks up and creates a ticket like clockwork. That initial email does create a ticket properly. It does assign the staff member as the ticket Reporter.

And then all of the cc recipients that were on the email are dropped from the ticket. I would expect Jira service desk to create a new "Request Participant user" and assign them to the ticket as a new "Request Participant". I don't know if it is the fact that the cc'd user has never been a Request Participant in Service Desk before or if I'm not finding some permission I should be seeing.

What I end up getting is the ticket created as I would expect, the original staff member that sent the ticket is assigned as the Reporter as I would expect, and none of the other cc'd users added to the ticket, which is not what I expect.

For us, it is important that all the people who were listed on the original email be notified when we do work on the ticket or close the request. So how do we get those cc'd people automatically added to the ticket from the original email message creating the ticket in Jira Service Desk?

1 answer

1 vote
Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 29, 2020

Hello Eddie,

Welcome to Atlassian Community!

Thank you for all the details of your use case.

When using Jira Service Desk, there are some configurations that may prevent customers to share their requests with people that don't have an account on the site or don't have permission on the project.

If the customer wants to share the ticket with a person that doesn’t have an account, it's necessary to change the permission or add the person before sharing the ticket.

To allow customers to share tickets with anyone, you need to change the following settings:

Go to Project settings > Customer permissions (classic project) or Project settings > Channels > Customer permissions (next-gen project). 

On this page, change the "Who can access the portal and send requests?" to "Anyone with an account on" and also, "Who can customer share requests with?" to "Any customer or organization". 

Screen Shot 2020-06-29 at 15.01.23.png

Note that: changing this setting will make customers from other projects also have access to this one.

After saving these settings, you can click on "Change the global settings" or go to Cog icon > Products > Configuration and allow customers to create their own accounts.

Screen Shot 2020-06-29 at 15.04.26 1.png

With that, customers can share tickets with people that don't have an account, because it will allow new accounts to be created automatically when they add people as a cc on the email. 

Regards,
Angélica

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events