Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Add existing user with private email address to organization

ruben.van.loen@yolt.eu December 3, 2020

Hi,

I found a few topics discussing how to move a user into an organization. The Add customers dialogue on the Organization page seems to be the standard approach for this, but it only works when you know the user's email address. I don't know the email address of the user I want to add to the organization:

users.png

Is there a way to add a user with private email address to an organization?

3 answers

0 votes
Kirstin Seidel-Gebert
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 22, 2024

This is still an issue in 2024!

It seems that this private email address comes from

I'm going to file a support request for this.

Cheers,
Kirstin

Kirstin Seidel-Gebert
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 23, 2024

OK, answer from Atlassian support:

This behavior is observed if the user's visibility settings is set to ONLY YOU. This is outlined in the document https://support.atlassian.com/confluence-cloud/docs/configure-user-email-visibility/

The user in question has to change their visibility settings. You can navigate to https://id.atlassian.com/manage-profile/profile-and-visibility and update the visibility settings to ONLY  YOU AND ADMINS.

EDIT: The above only applies to an older UI.

If the option ONLY YOU and ADMINS is selected, then the admins will be able to see the email address on admin.atlassian.com Directory's page. Admins will NOT be able to see them under the Customer's page of a project.

In order to see the email address in the customer's page, the user in question has to change the option to ANYONE. So that the email address will be visible to you in the Customer's page of the project.

Admins will still have to contact that user and ask them to change their settings - but now to anyone on the web. :(

Kirstin Seidel-Gebert
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 23, 2024
0 votes
Yorick Matthys February 16, 2023

I am also facing this issue.

I want to add the existing jira service desk user to an organisation, but that person is mentioned as "(private email address)", so the modal to add him doesn't work

0 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 3, 2020

i'm a bit confused. You want to add a user but don't know the email address, is that correct? You must have the address to manually add a user in Jira or JSM. You mention using the personal email address. Certainly you can do that but keep in mind that if you later add the user's business email that will be another user. You can't have two emails for a single user. Finally, you could elect to allow the system software to add users automatically when they send and email to your email channel.

Saasplications December 21, 2020

The customer has emailed in a support ticket - they did not use their work address - by accident they used their private email address.  The customer shows as a name and then (private email address) in brackets.  Cannot work out how to add this user to the correct organisation.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events