Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Add customer directly in ticket

Mareike Müller February 3, 2021

Can I add a customer automatically by just entering his email address as the author of a ticket?

Background: The tickets are automatically created by a email forwarding from our service mail address. Therefore the author of the ticket is always the support mail address. When we want to answer the customer, we have to first create him via the menu point "Customers" and then enter his address in the ticket.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Ivan Lima
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 3, 2021

Hey @Mareike Müller, associate users with tickets require the users/customers to exist in Jira. Jira Service Management gives you the ability to add new customers "automatically" by including their email address in the "To" or "Cc" field when replying to a request's email notification. Also, by signing up or simply sending a request. How does the actual customer come in the email? Are they CC'd in the email? If the answer here is that customer is not CC'd, I would say that someone/something needs to add the new customer to your product to make them available to set as a reporter, participants, etc. You can somehow automate this process, though you would need to have the customer embedded in the request and do a few tweaks with apps.

Mareike Müller February 4, 2021

[deleted]

Mareike Müller February 4, 2021

Hi @Ivan Lima,

Thank you very much for the detailed answer.

By now, most of our support communication relies on the support mail address, we don't actually use Jira's support form directly.

We have several mail addresses receiving support requests. The main address is our-support@our-domain.com. If someone of our team receives a support request to their own address, they forward the mail to our-support@our-domain.com. As a result, the team member forwarding the mail is entered as the author of the request. The original customer mail address is included in the created ticket's description as "From: customer@customer.com".

Could you please point me to how to tweak this? Is there a possibility to parse the description to extract the customer's mail address or to forward the mail in another way? Can a hook be added to the author form field to automatically create the customer?

Ivan Lima
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 5, 2021

Hi @Mareike Müller, I'm sure that there are different apps to help you to achieve this. In the past, I've done something similar using ScriptRunner in a Server/DC environment, where I extracted the content from the description in a post-function and scanned the string to find a specific set of words/characters. Obviously, it helps some standardization on the origin side to facilitate how you will be manipulating your string. Typically, it's worth reviewing the end-to-end solution, especially when you have to come up with complicated workarounds 😉

Like Mareike Müller likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events