Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Add a Custom Field to a Request Form

Tim Rix August 11, 2020

Hi everyone,

My team has used Jira Software for a number of years and we have just decided to adopt Jira Service Desk.  I'm in the process of configuring this and my manager wants users to be able to associate Jira Service Desk tickets to specific Jira Software projects as they create a request.  I was able to

• Create a custom field using the Advanced Field type - "Project Picker (single project)" 
  • Set the required default project
  • Add it to the appropriate request types 

In Project settings/Request types, I can now see the custom field in the "Hidden fields with preset values" section and hovering over the grayed out Show link shows a popup that says "This field type can't be shown in the customer portal".  Agents and requestors can use this field after something has been submitted but this isn't optimal for our environment.

Is it possible to change a setting that will allow this field type to be used on a request form?

If this field type can't be used on a request form, is it possible to have a screen open after submitting a request giving a user the option to choose a project association?

[Edit] I am using the cloud version of Jira Service Desk.

Thanks!

Tim

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nick Nader - Isos Technology
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 14, 2020

Hi Tim,

Yea unfortunately that isn't possible natively. The JSD portal request forms can't hold 3 types of custom fields (Group picker, project picker and version picker). 

There is a feature request in Atlassian's Jira instance for this functionality here, so I would definitely upvote that. 

In the meantime, you can jerry-rig it with a dropdown field and adding your project names manually (I know not ideal). 

Or you can test out apps like "Extension for Jira Service Desk" for 30 days to see if their dynamic forms allow for those custom fields. 

Hope this helps,

Nick with Isos

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events