Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

About the job tracking app

Barış Özer December 5, 2022

Hello everyone,

As the IT department, we would like to note down the works we will do and the pending works.

I have site-admin role in Jira.

Which app would you recommend we use?

I know there is no such to-do list in Jira?

Trello or Confluence comes to mind?

What application do you use that is efficient?

Can you post it with samples?

Thank you so much.

2 answers

2 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Luis Machado
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 6, 2022

Hi @Barış Özer 

Your question is pretty broad, and I think the right answer will largely depend on your specific situation, but I will try to offer you some potential insight. All three tools have some way to track tasks, but the approach to each is different.

If you're looking to track In-Progress and Pending work, Trello and Jira would be your two best options to consider. Confluence would be a great choice for documentation or keeping track of other static content that needs to be shared with your team or the company at large but is not usually the best option for tracking things in-flight (though it is possible).

Trello has a low cost of entry for tracking work and is flexible enough to let you just jump right in. You can set up a simple Kanban board with columns for To do, In Progress, and Done, and start tracking work pretty quickly. The base tool is also free which is nice, and it's usually a good option for small teams.

Jira offers quite a bit more functionality but can be a larger initial investment to get off the ground. There are also licensing considerations if you're going to have more than 10 users. The benefit of Jira is you have the tools to put a solid process in place that can be applied and maintained on a larger scale. The biggest benefit with Jira is you can keep better track of previous work and run reports against it, which Trello doesn't really do.

Hope this helps.

Barış Özer December 8, 2022

Hi @Luis Machado 

First of all, many thanks for the reply.

Basically I want to plan this.

I want to write down what to do each week.

For example, the computer will be installed on Monday, cleaning will be done on Tuesday and we will do what has been done.

For example, on December 14, new staff will start and the laptop will be installed. It would be great if there was a calendar feature and it reminded us. We'll know before the date comes.

Luis Machado
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 8, 2022

Thanks for the additional information @Barış Özer I agree with @Alex Koxaras _Relational_ especially if you already have JSM. Jira work management will give you a simple calendar to reference for your tasks and you can use automation rules to schedule due date notifications. If you find that JWM is too complex for what you need, you could also give Trello a shot.

Like Barış Özer likes this
0 votes
Answer accepted
Alex Koxaras _Relational_
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 6, 2022

Hi @Barış Özer 

This question is a bit vague, since there are hundreds applications that could do the trick for you. The real question is if you have all your business requirements ready and in one place, in order to know what do you want this app to do in order to achieve the goals of your requirements.

If your sole requirement is to track your todo list, then JWM will do the trick for you. And since you already have JSM, you can create a JWM project and see it for yourself in action and decide if that's ok with you.

In my opinion, I would go with a JWM project.

Hi @Alex Koxaras _Relational_ 

First of all, many thanks for the reply.

Basically I want to plan this.

I want to write down what to do each week.

For example, the computer will be installed on Monday, cleaning will be done on Tuesday and we will do what has been done.

For example, on December 14, new staff will start and the laptop will be installed. It would be great if there was a calendar feature and it reminded us. We'll know before the date comes.

Community Leader
Community Leader
December 8, 2022

@Barış Özer JWM has a built in calendar and you can watch it for any upcoming events (issues) you setup:

JWM calendar 1.png

And JWM offers so much more to organize things https://www.atlassian.com/software/jira/work-management

Hi @Alex Koxaras _Relational_ 

Do we have to create a ticket for the JVM?
We are 3 friends in the IT department, if we create a ticket, there will be many tickets.

We just want to plan and do it. After we do, we want to open a ticket.

Community Leader
Community Leader
December 8, 2022

@Barış Özer I don't really follow you. I don't understand the "We just want to plan and do it. After we do, we want to open a ticket."

JWM, JSW and JSM even trello, they all work with issues/tickets/cards. 

Like Barış Özer likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events