Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3 Tier Application Architecture

JAMES KHOR November 18, 2020

Hi there,

Does Atlassian Service Desk server edition follow 3 tiers application architecture?

I went through the documentation and believe there are 3 tiers application architecture. For security requirements, i can install the client on a virtual machine in the web zone, application server on a virtual machine in the app zone and database server on a virtual machine in the DB zone.

Thanks.

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 18, 2020

You'll need to explain what you thnk "3 tiers architecture" is here, google gives me four widely differing definitions.

If you really mean the standard 7 tier architecture for web applications, then yes, it does that - OS (user) + client + OS (server side) + application server + application + OS (database) + database.  Each layer is independent in itself and could be swapped for something else. 

JAMES KHOR November 19, 2020

Hi Nic, can it be confirmed that Atlassian does not have a 3 tier application architecture?

jira application is a web application server that connects to the database in the DB zone.

There is no client application that connects to the JIRA application. To comply to the 3 tier application architecture, I will need to set up a reverse proxy in the web tier in order to access the JIRA application.

Is my understanding correct?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 19, 2020

No, because you have not explained what you think a 3 tier architecture is.  It clearly means something different to me.  What do you mean by "tier" in this?

You say "There is no client application that connects to the JIRA application."

That is completely and utterly wrong.  You can't use Jira without one.  Whether it's a browser, a script or a dedicated program on a phone, desktop, tablet, car, spaceship or or or, you are using a client application.

I can't tell you about "compliance to 3 tier architecture" as you've not explained what you think it is.

JAMES KHOR November 19, 2020

Hello Nic,

The 3-tier application architecture refers to the following.

1. Presentation tier which is the front-end layer that is accessible through a web-based application that displays content to the user. It is often built on web technologies such as javascript, HTML5 and others.

2. Application tier which contains the functional business logic that is written in Java, .NET and others.

3. Database tier comprises of the data storage layer such as mySQL, postgresql.

I understand JIRA service desk as the web application in the application tier that contains the functional business logic. It connects to a DB server in the database tier.

What i don't understand is whether there is a separate web-based application in the presentation tier that connects to JIRA web application in the application tier.

Hope this is clear to you.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 20, 2020

Thank you for explaining that.  It really does help frame the question a lot.

The 3-tier architecture you have here is an idealised reductionist model of software that can be useful for analysis, but has not been a good representation of most software for a couple of decades.

Applying it to Jira:

Tier 3 is mostly right.  There's a database.  Jira does not use it as a database, it is only a data store, but the tier idea works there.

Tier 2 and Tier 1 fail totally.  There is a "tier 2 application" but you have not recognised that there is a difference between the application, the application server, and the applications that are layered on top of the application. 

What you call "the presentation layer" is mostly done in the application side, not the front end.

TLDR: No.  Jira is not 3 tier, that model cannot explain it usefully.

Like JAMES KHOR likes this
JAMES KHOR November 21, 2020

Thanks Nic. You have answered my question!

0 votes
Jackson Harper May 15, 2023

Aimir CG is an architectural visualization company based in China, delivering consistent art quality 3D renderings and animations worldwide. We are fast, efficient and always deliver on time. Our professionalism and communication skills make us easy to work with and the end product was nothing short of impressive!

Digital Engineer September 4, 2023

Hey @Jackson Harper please check the 3D Product Rendering Services hope this will be best option for you!

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events