Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reopen ticket with automation rule

When a Service Management customer answers an already resolved (and closed) ticket, it’s often desired that the ticket is reopened in order to agents be able to work on the customers' request.

This can be accomplished by using Jira Service Management automation and a custom workflow transition. The Automation tool inside Service Management already has a template to do this, however, if you’re using a custom workflow for your issue types, then it might not work out of the box and some customisation must be done.

The first thing to verify if your workflow has a transition from the Closed to the Open status. To do this, follow the steps below:

1. Go to your Project settings > Workflows

2. Click on the pencil icon to edit the workflow of your issue type

3. Click in text mode and verify if there’s a transition in the Closed status, as in the image below:

Screen Shot 2018-10-16 at 11.42.49.png

If the transition does exist, then you’re safe to create the Automation rule. If it does not, then you must create it.

Creating the reopen transition

It is not possible to add outgoing transitions to an active workflow. To do this, you must create a copy of the workflow and edit the newly created copy. Follow the steps below to do this:

1. Go to your Project settings > Workflows

2. Click on Copy and fill the new name for your workflow – you’ll be redirected to the workflow edition screen

3. Click on + Add Transition:

1. in the From Status, you set the name of your Closed status

2. in the To Status, you set the name of your Open status

3. in the Name, you set the name of the reopen transition, like Reopening Ticket

4. add the new transition

4. Go to your Project Settings > Workflows > Add Workflow > Add Existing

5. Select the newly created and edited workflow > Next

6. Associate with the desired issue types – preferable with the same issue types of the old workflow, before adding the new transition

Adding the automation rule

Now that you’re set up with the reopen transition, you need to add the automation rule. As commented above, Service Management already has a default template for that that we can use. The step to do this is very simple:

1. Go to your Project settings > Automation > Legacy automation

2. Click in Add Rule > select Comment re-opens issue

3. Edit the fields accordingly:

1. Issue Matches – change the status name to the name of your Closed status

2. Then do this – change the transition name to the name of the Reopen ticket transition that you created – or confirmed that exists – before

4. Save the rule

Testing

Now, you should test the changes that we’ve just made to confirm they’re working as expected. We recommend you creating a test ticket, closing it up and then comment via email.

If didn’t work as expected, you can verify the Automation rule logs.

1. Go to your Project settings > Automation > Legacy automation

2. Click on the […] button, in the rule name that we’ve just created

3. Click on View log

4. If the rule show execution error or failed, click on Show Details to verify the reason it failed

4 comments

Meg Holbrook
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 16, 2018

Great article for people who are new to this process or need a refresher. Thank you so much for sharing @Rodrigo Baldasso!

Admin May 19, 2020

When "Adding the automation rule" in the second step, where can I find "select Comment re-opens issue"?

sonam.kapur March 18, 2021

If we want to implement a roster where agents are working on different shifts, we want to implement shift wise SLA in JIRA. Please suggest how to do it? 

sanjay_sapra March 28, 2021

Team , above steps working fine and thanks for details . I have one more query , if i need to add some text like "ReOpen" with my existing summary . can anyone help how i can edit that .

I have tried but my complete summary changed.

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events