How Jack Brickey's IT, HR, and Facilities teams use Jira Service Desk

JackBrickey.png

The Jira Service Desk team is looking for and sharing stories from teams using the tool for innovative use cases in HR, Legal, Finance, Marketing, etc. in order to help traditional users (IT admins) help other departments take advantage of the product. In this post, you’ll learn how Jack Brickey, an Atlassian Champion, uses Jira Service Desk to support his IT, Facilities, and HR Staffing teams. 

Give a few examples of the types of requests that some of your teams make via Jira Service Desk

For an example, requests made for Facilities include: General Facilities, HVAC, Lighting, Plumbing, Lab Issues

What are the biggest limitations with Freshdesk and how (in your opinion) might Jira Service Desk improve your current customer service flow?

We use Freshdesk for customer support, but I don’t have the most familiarity with the tool. It seems expensive and I would prefer that we were on a single product (Jira Service Desk) for all the obvious reasons: moving issues, linking issues, reporting, administration, and cost. 
How would you use JSD for purchasing (in an ideal world) 

I have mixed feelings on this since ultimately purchase requisitions have to be in the Enterprise resource planning (ERP) system because that is where accounting lives. However, there is one clear exception: Often IT employees have credit cards and a spending limit so it is easy to use Jira Service Desk for this if it is being used for IT already in a company. If I need a new computer I can open a Purchase (request type) via the portal, wait for it to go through the necessary approval, and then have the IT agent place the order. It also could be a frontend to the ERP system where a request is entered and approved and then a Purchasing Agent (w/ Jira Service Desk agent permissions) takes the file step within the Jira Service Desk workflow to create the PR/PO in the ERP, places the order and closes the ticket as ‘ordered’ (resolved).

8 comments

Meg Holbrook
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 29, 2018

Wooho!! Go @Jack Brickey

Nick Eden May 30, 2018

We had the full procurement process setup in JSD for IT. From the initial request from the user, to quotes, IT approval, business approval to delivery, capturing all the relevant information required such as supplier, cost, make/model, costcodes, etc etc. Very easy to provide finance at the end of the month to tally up OPEX/CAPEX costs.

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 30, 2018

Good to hear @Nick Eden. I also find the interface offered by JSD to be much more friendly than most ERP systems which helps. I find most ERP systems to be long-in-the-tooth and overly cumbersome to use.

Nick Eden May 30, 2018

Indeed, when you combine that with all the features that JSD/JIRA offers, it was a true customer experience driven experience with 1ClickOps for agent operational efficiency. We also rolled this out to the wider procurement team.

HR, Facilities, Employee Onboarding...the flexibility provided is limitless. There is nothing quite like it.

Helen Yu
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 10, 2018

Thank you @Jack Brickey for sharing your story on how your team uses Jira Service Desk outside of IT! It's just another testament to why we were named a strong performer and the highest rated vendor for Enterprise Service Management (ESM) strategy in the first Forrester Wave on ESM: https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-Service-Desk-articles/New-analyst-report-on-Enterprise-Service-Management/ba-p/907143 

Phill Purnell December 11, 2018

Hey @Nick Eden

I am looking to add procurement to our JSD but at a loss how to other than adding a always showing cost field and the rest of the info to the body on the ticket.

Is there a better way to have a set of tickets set up that easily show any costs that is associated within and to have one place to hold the quotes and invoices for said costs?

Cheers,

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 11, 2018

@Phill Purnell, If the requestor uses the Portal then you can setup whatever fields you wish to expose in the form and make any/all required. Invoices and quotes are added as attachments. If you are limited to email then, as you said, you would have to train the users to include everything in body which is less than ideal to be sure. IMO, an email only solution is doomed to fail for procurement.

Nick Eden December 11, 2018

@Phill Purnell As per the above, if email only no real point.

You can create a number of custom fields for Quote Value, Actual Cost Value, Purchase Order, Supplier, Capex/Opex, Shipping Value, etc etc.

Each of these fields can be completed during transitions (stages) of the defined purchase workflow.

Very much depends on how you want to set this up, but coming from the perspective of the customer who will submit a ticket as in "I need something". This could be something in stock already or something that needs to be purchased, so the workflow can reflect that.

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events