Disable email notifications for a specific transition

Sometimes, it’s desired to disable notifications when an issue is transitioned to a specific status. Jira doesn’t have any built-in tool to do this, however, you can easily accomplish by creating a custom notification event and editing your transition post-functions.

Creating the custom notification event

First, you need to create the custom notification event. To do this, follow the steps below:

1. go to your Jira Settings > System

2. click on (advanced) Events

3. add a new event

1. name: Disable notification

2. description: This event doesn’t send any notifications

3. template: Generic event

4. add

Now, you are safe to proceed with your workflow edition.

Changing the workflow transition post-function

For this step, we’re going to associate our newly created notification event:

1. go to your Project Settings > Workflows

2. click on the pencil (edit) icon in the respective workflow

3. click on the text mode, then in the transition that you want to disable the notifications

4. select the post-functions tab

5. click on the pencil icon in the Fire a Generic Event post-function

6. change the event to the newly created event (in our case, Disable notification)

7. update and publish the workflow

Done! Now, when issues are transitioned using that transition, they’ll not fire any email notifications for your agents.

5 comments

Meg Holbrook
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 22, 2018

Loving these articles @Rodrigo Baldasso! Great tips for new and existing admins who want to take their installations to the next level!

Like # people like this
Muhammad Bilal February 28, 2019

Thank you so much for the article. I have a question. I need the specific transition only to be disabled at the client/ customer end not on my service desk team side. Do you think is it possible?

Muhammad Bilal March 7, 2019

This is not working at all for me. I set the same condition as you said. Still i am getting the notifications for the transitions.

Jill Biggar June 10, 2019

Hi @Rodrigo Baldasso 

I wonder if you could help me please, I've followed your steps to a new status created (called Waiting Assigned) for a service desk workflow to use in the transition (from Open to Waiting Assigned) but for some reason it still sends the requester (a customer using SSO) a notification.  When I look in Notification helper it tells me that it should have worked.  Any ideas?

Thanks in advance :)

2019-06-11_14-33-12.jpg2019-06-11_14-28-10.jpg

Mike Smalley January 15, 2020

Old post but in case no one has come to the conclusion yet. It has to do with the default rules in the projects Customer Notifications. If the rule "Customer-visible status changed" is enabled it just ignores whatever post function changes you make.

If you disable it make sure you recreate them for whatever status you still want the notifications for.

Like # people like this

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events