Block a specific email address from opening a ticket

Sometimes, there's a specific email address spamming your queues with emails not caught by our Amazon SES email filter, and this hurts your productivity.

At the moment, it is not possible to block a specific customer from opening tickets in Jira Service Desk. There is already an open feature request to allow this, here: JSDCLOUD-3836 -- consider upvoting this feature request if you consider this is a good feature to have in Service Desk Cloud.

As a workaround, you can deactivate the customer email address in your Jira instance. Even if you have an open portal, a deactivated customer will not be able to raise requests (from email or via the portal). However, this can be accomplished only by site-admins.

Deactivating a customer in Service Desk

To deactivate a customer, follow the steps below:

1. go to your instance site-admin

2. click on (users) Jira Server Desk > Portal only customers

3. search for the user that you’re seeking to block

4. click on the Deactivate link, as in the image below

Image 2018-10-19 at 10.59.58 AM.png

Done! That way, this customer won’t be able to create a new request in your Service Desk queue. Blocked messages will be logged in the Jira Service Desk Email Requests log, with the error message ‘Current user is not active’.

11 comments

Meg Holbrook
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 22, 2018

Great article @Rodrigo Baldasso - my teams use this internally to prevent 'help desk loops' between two teams that are using different help desk software. 

Awesome to see more articles like this and really great that you linked back to JAC so people could vote on the enhancement, well done!

Like Rodrigo Baldasso likes this
Anh Kato March 8, 2019

Thank you for this article.  However, I don't seem to see the Deactivate option.  Is this dependent on the way the JIRA service desk is setup or am I missing something here?  Thanks!

Rodrigo Baldasso
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 11, 2019

Hi @Anh Kato the UI recently changed and now to deactivate the account you should click on the (...) button > revoke access. It will have the same functionality as the old deactivate button.

Like # people like this
Anh Kato March 15, 2019

Thank you @Rodrigo Baldasso

I appreciate your quick response.  That worked like a charm.  

Like # people like this
Rodrigo Baldasso
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 15, 2019

Glad to hear that @Anh Kato !!!

Like Becky Yutzy likes this
David Reinhardt October 1, 2019

Hi there, I had this working a few days ago but it seems to have stopped working this morning.

We're trying to stop tickets being created from our internal software monitoring tool. The monitoring tool sends an email to "support@..." from its own email address. I had blocked the email address as a user and for the past two weeks, this stopped all inbound emails from that email address to "support@" from creating tickets. As of a few hours ago, it is now creating tickets again.

I have checked in the site admin, and it shows the user as having "No site access" (see screenshot).

If I look at the processing log, I can see that at 09h37 this morning, it stopped that email address from creating a ticket. When the monitoring tool sent another alert at 11h56 this morning, it allowed it to create a ticket. (I've not sent a screenshot as it has too much other identifying info in it from customers).

Do you have any idea about why this might've stopped worked and how I might be able to kickstart it into working again? 

Thank you

Davidemi v3.JPG

David Reinhardt October 1, 2019

Hi there, I had this working a few days ago but it seems to have stopped working this morning.

We're trying to stop tickets being created from our internal software monitoring tool. The monitoring tool sends an email to "support@..." from its own email address. I had blocked the email address as a user and for the past two weeks, this stopped all inbound emails from that email address to "support@" from creating tickets. As of a few hours ago, it is now creating tickets again.

I have checked in the site admin, and it shows the user as having "No site access". If I look at the processing log, I can see that at 09h37 this morning, it stopped that email address from creating a ticket. When the monitoring tool sent another alert at 11h56 this morning, it allowed it to create a ticket. (I've not sent a screenshot as it has too much other identifying info in it from customers).

Do you have any idea about why this might've stopped worked and how I might be able to kickstart it into working again? 

Thanks, David

Wilker Amorim March 23, 2020

Hi everyone, 
I have a similar issue here, but in my case, I just want to create an exception to only emails @mycompany.com can be able to mail and open tickets. How I lock the other else emails?

Kevin Ultsh August 28, 2020

Just ran into this same issue as @Wilker Amorim . I want to block my own companies domain from being able to open tickets. Following this thread hoping for an answer. 

Florian Gruppe November 5, 2020

Hey everyone,

as we face recurring  cases of tickets being opened by spam-bots, I wnated to try out the suggested workaround for blocking certain email-addresses for our Jira Service Desk.

However, in our instance I cannot help to find the mentioned settings at all (see below).

Am I looking into the wrong spot or has the mentioned setting "Jira Service Desk > Portal only customers" been removed in the meantime ?

Hoping for some insight on that one!

Best,
Florian

2020-11-05 12_29_42-.png

Deleted user December 10, 2020

I am also on the same boat. The connected email accounts to Jira SD are also subscribed to MS newsletters so whenever a MS Newsletter is received they automatically open tickets which we just automatically cancel. I was wondering if there's a way to block that email from openings tickets on the Jira level. Other than unsubscribing from the newsletter or blocking the domain  on the MS Exchange level.

Or another way to approach my issue is to set a rule to automatically close/cancel the ticket that's opened by a specific Reporter - If anyone has done this I would appreciate if you can share what you did.

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events