cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to set up a two step approval

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 9, 2016

I am building a workflow for HR staffing. In that workflow the first status is BU Approval if approved it is transitioned to CFO Approval status and from there an HR JSD agent takes control of the process. I have gone thru Atlassian documentation and they mention that multi-step approvals are possible but don't provide an example. 

I have exposed the Approvers list on the portal which by design is meant to contain the BU Approver and I believe this is working ok. My question is how do I set up the second approval such that the CFO receives a notification If BU approves?

image2016-11-9 21:7:16.png

1 answer

1 accepted

6 votes
Answer accepted
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 10, 2016

I figured it out. Captured here for anyone that might find useful in the future.

Basically you need two different approval fields. I used the JSD default Approvals field for the first approval and created a new CF "CFO Approval" field that was a single user field. Then:

1. Workflow
    1. configured the "Awaiting BU Approval" to use the "Approvals" field
    2. configured the "Awaiting CFO Approval" to use "CFO Approval"
  2. For the "Approvals" field I Configured it w/ a list of default users (approvers)
  3. Project>Project Settings>Request type>Edit Fields:
    1. added both Approvals and CFO Approvals making Approvals required and hiding the CFO Approval from portal. When you hide it you will be asked to provide the approvers name.

Resulting behavior:

1. Requestor makes request and selects one or more of the listed approvers. Note you can modify how many approvers are required for the status in the workflow. I set mine to a single approver. So if the requestor lists more than one approver then any one of them will move the request along to the Awaiting CFO Approval status.
  2. Email notification is sent to all approvers that requestor listed/choose.
  3. Approvers log into portal and approve/reject the request
  4. If approved then it moves to Awaiting CFO Approval and the CFO is notified by email.
  5. CFO logs into portal and approves/rejects
  6. the rest is pretty straight forward...
Ankit Patel December 7, 2017

Is this possible in JIRA Core?

Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 7, 2017

This can be expanded to as many approvals you need

Ankit Patel December 7, 2017

@Joe Pitt

This is specific to Jira Service Desk, correct? 

I was looking for an approval process in JIRA Server 6.4...

Would this be possible if we upgrade to Jira Software 7.6 / Jira Core?

Thanks

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 8, 2017

Note to all, I moved this from JSW to JSD thread where it belonged. 

@Ankit Patel, you may wish to open a question under Jira thread at this point if you have questions.

Sadix Huseynov July 1, 2019

@Jack Brickey can you please explain the way you "configured the "Awaiting BU Approval" to use the "Approvals" field"? How is it possible to link status to the field?

Thanks

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 1, 2019

@Sadix Huseynov , unsure where you running into issues. Have your review the documentation on Setting up Approvals?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events