Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to get a ticket created automatically thru EMAIL in different JIRA service desks based on different customers

A May 30, 2015

Hi,

Can anyone help shed some light on the following scenario:

My company just purchased JIRA service desk. We want to use it to allow our external cusomers to create tickets via EMAIL Channel. We created a generic email address, say "Support@mycompany.com" for our customers to use to send their request to.  So whenever our customers send an email to this email address, a ticket gets created automatically in JIRA.  However, we have multiple customers each having its own Service Desk project.  For example, we have a service desk project for Bank1.  And another service desk project for Bank2,etc.  If we get an email from Bank1 customer, we want a ticket to get created only in Bank1 service desk.  Likewise, if we get an email from Bank2 customer, we only want a ticket to get created in Bank2 service desk,etc.    But currently the problem we have is since Bank1 and Bank2 both use the same generic email address,"Support@mycompany.com", so whichever customer sends an email to this email address, a ticket gets created in BOTH Bank1 AND Bank2 service desk projects.  We do not want this! 

To solve this,  my thought is to use the domain as a criteria to decide where  the ticket should be created.  For instance, if the domain is xxxx@Bank1.com, then the ticket gets created in Bank1 service desk.  If it is xxxx@Bank2.com, then the ticket gets created in Bank2 service desk.  But I'm not sure how to achieve this since I'm new with this software.  Are there any functionalities that could help achieve this?  Or if anyone has any other idea of achieving it,  would you please be kind enough to share your thoughts!

Any tip or info towards this matter would be greatly appreciated!

3 answers

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 31, 2015

You will need to find/write a new "mail handler" to do this.  The existing built-in ones have a really simple "email arrives, put it in a project" process and don't support much clever parsing.  To use them, you'd need to have different email addresses, one for each client.

I'm pretty sure the JEMH addon can do this for you, if you don't want to write your own.

0 votes
A July 9, 2015

Hi Nic,

I have tried JEMH based on your suggestion (30 day free trial).  And again Thank you very much for your useful and helpful suggestion.

Yes, JEMH add-ons does what we need. i.e. allow our 9 different customers to create tickets to their corresponding Service Desk Projects via email based on their email domains.  However, now we're out of the free trial, and found out the cost is quite high. It would cost $1500 for our Production instance to match the JIRA 100 tier.  In addition, we have another testing instance of JEMH ($500 for 1-25 users with $250 annual maintenance).   Do you happen to know if there is any less expensive solution that will allow to accomplish the same goal?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 9, 2015

I'm afraid I don't really have any other solutions for this. Well, actually, I've got quite a few "other solutions" if you want to talk about the purely *technical* side of things, but my instincts always lead back to JEMH when it comes to email arriving in JIRA. JEMH is hugely flexible and adaptable to all sorts of requirements, and the other solutions I'm thinking of are either very very narrowly defined, or require you to code. As an example of this instinct, I have written email handlers for some clients. They do what the client needs, and they do it well. They're inflexible and can't be easily adapted to do other stuff, and when you look at the invoices for the time spent writing them, they do tend to end up as a bit higher than buying a couple of years of JEMH licences. *as a footnote though, I'm not sure you need to licence your test instances. Atlassian provide you with a "development licence" which is for testing, DR and other stuff you don't do in Production, so you should be able to use that for test.

0 votes
A May 31, 2015

Thank you so much Nic for your info! I will do some research based on your suggestion.  Most likely I'll try to see if JEMH could help us achieve the goal since I'm just a user and not a familiar with JIRA service desk development related functinaties and coding. We need to get this done urgently.

Again thank you very much indeed!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events