Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why would a user receive notifications when he is not a reporter, assignee or customer?

Robert Helstrom October 21, 2019

One of my users (that I know of) receives some (but not all) notifications for issues they are not associated with in any way. 

The notification shows that the reporter is sharing the ticket with the organization, but as a member of the organization (and an admin) I did not receive the notification, so I'm not sure how that could be the issue.

The user who receives these notifications does not receive them for every ticket but for many when the issue is created or sometimes when assigned or moved, he says.

When he clicks the "View Request" link in the notification, he is denied access to view it.

See attached notification screen shot.

Jira_issue.pngWhy would he be receiving these and how can I turn them off for him?

2 answers

0 votes
Andrew Laden
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 22, 2019

If you have your JSD set up to automatically create customers, this can happen if the user who created the ticket included a Distribution list.

1. User emails JSD to create the ticket, and CC's a distribution list.
  2. JSD created the ticket, and also creates a customer account for the distribution list as a single entity, and adds that customer as a request participant.
  3. JSD send the create notification to the original sender, and the list. 
  4. However, since the list is a request participant, but not the actual members of the list, anyone from the list who gets them mail isnt actually able to see the ticket,

Some options

1. Turn off request participant notifications. (thats what we ended up doing)
  2. Dont allow automatic creation of customers based on emails.
    1. It would be nice if we could say dont create customers from CC's, only from senders, but JSD doesn't have that option.
  3. Write post function in the create transition that looks for lists in the request participants fields, and either removes them or expands them. (very tricky)
  4. Use a different mail handler (JEMH) instead of the native Jira Service Desk mail handlers, which gives you more option on how to handle that case. But that requires some setup, and behaves differently in other ways.
0 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 21, 2019

Here are my first thoughts on the possibilities:

• the user is a member of a group or role that is setup to receive notifications (project settings > notifications). Not likely if the are not receiving for all issues but still something to look at.
  • the user is a watcher for the issues they are getting notified on
  • automation - there could be an automation (native or addon) that is conditionally sending out notifications 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events