Why does my Administrator become a Service Desk Agent?!

Gerald Blondel January 31, 2018

Hello Everyone

I have something weird here happening. I notice that the Administrators become automatically Agents in Service Desk!!!

We are 3 admins for this site and we are taking 3 agents licenses, which does not make sense. 

I tried to revoke one admin from Service Desk, and it automatically removed this admin from all the admin groups.

What did I do wrong?

Thanks!

4 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 31, 2018

Admin and Agent rights are completely separate things in Jira.

Could you explain your permission schemes in your Service Desk projects and how you are identifying "Administrators"  (And, a description of what you mean by "revoke admin from service desk", or at least how you do it, might be useful!)

7 votes
Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 31, 2018

Go to Applications->Application Access and have a look at what groups are included as service desk agents. Remove your administrators from the group.

2 votes
Philip Armour February 22, 2019

I have been looking into this (for server only) and have come to the conclusion that you need a JSD (agent) license for any project administration which touches JSD-specific features (like configuring SLAs).

You can access the project administration page as a project admin without a JSD (agent) license (e.g. a Jira software user), but if you try to access any JSD-specific settings you get the message " Snap! You can't view this page. You need to be a Service Desk Agent to access this page. Contact your administrator if you need access. ". This happens even if you are a JIRA Administrator.

So to conclude, it is possible to do project admin of JSD projects without being an agent but only if you do not touch JSD-specific features like SLAs. So you could for example add users to roles (this is non-JSD-specific functionality). But for administering any JSD-specific features you need to consume a JSD license.

I guess it makes sense because otherwise people could use this to workaround buying JSD agent licenses!

0 votes
Gerald Blondel January 31, 2018

Thanks a lot!!!

Indeed, in "Application Access" / "View Configuration" in the section Service Desk, there were Administrator and Site-Admin selected.

I removed them and I do not have conflict anymore.

Issue solved!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events