Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which License do we need? We want to use Jira Software, Service Desk and Confluence

Verena February 9, 2018

We have small team for support (4 People),- therefore i am quite sure we need 4 JIRA SERVICE DESK Agents.

But in case the support cannot solve the support issue, - we want to have the option to "forward" or "assign" the support issue to JIRA Software to a developer (about 10). The developer should be able to change the status, give feedback, solve the case and give it back to JIRA SERVICE DESK - therefore i also need an agent License for all developers who should be able doing this process right? so i need 14 Agent License.

ALL (support and developer) should have the option to write and read/use confluence for documentation. Do i need 14 separate Confluence licenses oder are they included in the angent license?

i am really insecure about the lincensing...

Thank you a lot!

3 answers

1 vote
Victor Florin Pana February 9, 2018

Hello Verena,

Would you like to host your own JIRA instances or use the Cloud based instances? I am asking because pricing is different based on the chosen option. For self hosted instances you pay once per year, whilst for Cloud based instances you pay a monthly fee based on the number of users.

https://www.atlassian.com/licensing/jira-software

https://www.atlassian.com/licensing/jira-service-desk

https://www.atlassian.com/licensing/confluence

Also the three tools are independent when it comes to licensing. So the fact that you might have 14 Agent licenses does not mean that you will have Confluence access. That will require Confluence access.

As for the forwarding part, you have to be more precise as what do you mean by forwarding. For example you can create a clone of the issue that will be created in the software project. Or maybe you want to use the same project and just have the developers notified when a certain status is reached. Depending on what you want to do, the solving of that need is different and can or cannot imply cost.

Regards,
Victor

1 vote
James Littlefair February 9, 2018

Hi there!

I recently configured a solution for a client facing a similar problem. They had a team of customer support agents (10) and a larger team of developers. Like your case, the CS team dealt with small requests, and passed larger requests onto the development team.

We achieved this with the minimum licence of 10 users for Jira Service Desk, which encapsulated the support team, then a larger licence of 25 users for Jira Software (including the service desk agents). When a request needed to be moved to the developers, the CS team would move the issue to a 'with developers' status, then create a linked issue in the development project.

As the reporter of the issue in Jira Software, the CS agent would be notified when the issue was resolved, so they could feedback this to the customer and update the Service Desk issue.

As far as confluence goes, if you want all of your users to be able to read and write, then you will need the 25 user tier of a confluence licence.

Remember, licences can always be upgraded, so purchase what you need currently and expand when necessary.

Hope this helps!

*edit: the above was for server versions of jira and confluence

0 votes
James Littlefair February 9, 2018

Hi there,

I answered this a few minutes ago but can't find a trace of my comment anywhere.. very strange.. so I have typed it out again below:

I recently implemented a solution for a client very similar to the situation you describe. They have a small Customer Support team (10) using Jira Service Desk to handle incoming customer requests. As with your team, they deal with small requests directly, but larger requests requiring development are passed on to a larger team using Jira Software. They licenced all of their users for Jira Software (25 person licence), but only their CS team to Service Desk (10 person licence).

This is achieved by moving any issues requiring development in Jira Service Desk to an "In Development" status, and creating a linked issue in Jira Software. This linked issue is worked on by the development team, and when resolved the reporter - in this case a member of the CS team - is notified, and can update the issue in Service Desk.

As for Confluence, if you want all of your users to be able to read and write, then you will need licencing for them all.

I hope this helps!

Note, the above is relevant for server applications, as @Victor Florin Pana mentions, pricing is different for cloud versions.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events