Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade to Jira Service Desk 4.0.0 FAILS

Toby Pittman February 12, 2019

The upgrade installation of Jira Service Desk from build 3.16.1 to 4.0.0 says it completed successfully but does not start. Checked the windows services and the service no longer exists. Is this happening to others? We could not get the new version to start up so we had to roll back to build 3.16.1  

If there is a fix or possibly build installation 4.0.0 has an issue?

Thanks.

TJP

4 answers

1 vote
Daniel Eads
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 20, 2019

Hey all,

I'd like to follow up with everyone regarding the Windows Service disappearing after upgrading to Jira 8.0.0 / Service Desk 4.0.0. This is a known issue and tracked in JRASERVER-68865. I hope you were able to get Jira running manually after your upgrade (or that you were working on a test instance) if you ran into this issue.

Going forward, this issue has been fixed in Jira 8.0.1 / Service Desk 4.0.1 which were released this morning. If you are still having issues with the service not running, an upgrade from 8.0.0 to 8.0.1 (or Service Desk 4.0.0 to 4.0.1) should reinstall the service for you.

The latest releases are available here:

Cheers,
Daniel | Atlassian Support

0 votes

Did what you suggested and this is what I receive back now-

E:\>cd Program Files\Atlassian\JIRA\bin

E:\Program Files\Atlassian\JIRA\bin>service.bat install Jira
Installing the service 'JIRAServiceDesk281218110756' ...
Using CATALINA_HOME:    "E:\Program Files\Atlassian\JIRA"
Using CATALINA_BASE:    "E:\Program Files\Atlassian\JIRA"
Ignoring JAVA_HOME:        "E:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.8.0_192"
Using JRE_HOME:         "E:\Program Files\Atlassian\JIRA\jre"
Using JVM:              "E:\Program Files\Atlassian\JIRA\jre\bin\server\jvm.dll"
8 was unexpected at this time.

E:\Program Files\Atlassian\JIRA\bin>

Dave Theodore [Coyote Creek Consulting]
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 12, 2019

There is a note in the setup doc that says you need to use 8.3 path names. What happens if you try something this instead?

E:\>cd Progra~1\Atlass~1\JIRA\bin

Then try to add the service

E:\Progra~1\Atlass~1\JIRA\bin>service.bat install Jira

If you have more than more directory in any of those locations, you may need to change to ~2 or other number.  

Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 12, 2019

Also you can use

dir /x

to see the 8.3 file/directory names. 

Tried your suggestion and this is what I receive back-

E:\>cd Progra~1\Atlass~1\JIRA\bin
The system cannot find the path specified.

E:\>dir /x
 Volume in drive E is SCSI_Vol2
 Volume Serial Number is 56D9-91AD Directory of E:\01/05/2019  04:12 PM    <DIR>                       Crowd_Install
01/02/2019  02:08 PM    <DIR>                       data
01/02/2019  01:52 PM    <DIR>                       Program Files
01/21/2019  12:39 PM    <DIR>                       Program Files (x86)
               0 File(s)              0 bytes
               4 Dir(s)  78,896,680,960 bytes free 

Jaakko Sarakoski
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
February 14, 2019

Ran into the same issue, when trying to do a clean install of jsd 4.0 on new windows server. After trying to install the service manually using the service.bat. I checked registry and noticed that you can see the service added to registry with String: installedAsService Value: true.

0 votes

Also... should I restart the server after setting the environment variable?

0 votes
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 12, 2019

I think you should be able to fix this by manually setting up the service. It's pretty easy to do.

Tried that and it did not work. The service.bat file is missing or corrupt. 

Community Leader
Community Leader
February 12, 2019

I would download the Standalone ZIP version and manually install it. If you point it to your existing home directory, it should see your existing configuration and start right up.  If you ran the installer multiple times, you will need to restore the original home directory and point to that.

Thank you... I'll give it a try.

Where is the zip version of Jira Service Desk 4.0.0 located. Can't find it on the site. Only the installer version.

Searched the site again and cannot find the zipped version of Jira Service Desk 4.0.0

Community Leader
Community Leader
February 12, 2019

You can get Jira Software 8. It's the same thing. Just install your JSD license key and it won't activate the Software functions.

Daniel Eads
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 12, 2019

Hey Toby,

The non-installer versions of our products are a little hidden. Here's a quick link to the zipped version of Jira Service Desk 4.0.

In the future you can access zipped versions of the software by:

1. Visiting the downloads page for the product (e.g. Jira Software or Jira Service Desk) you're after
  2. Click the "All Server versions" link on the page
  3. Use the "View all versions" link to change to an older version if you're not after the most current release
  4. Select the Zip Archive from the dropdown menu, then click "Get Started" to agree to the license terms and start the download

Cheers,
Daniel

Like # people like this

Tried that two and had the same results. I'm thinking pulling down the zip and manually installing will do the trick but I can't seem to find any zip files of Jira 8 or Jira Service Desk 4.0.0

Have others reported the same issue with the installer? After looking at the zip file downloaded my directory structure is setup differently. If I extract to the Jira directory it'll mess up the current installation. Any suggestions?  

Community Leader
Community Leader
February 12, 2019

I would extract the zip in to a dedicated directory and configure it there.  There is no telling what is messed up with your current directory, so I wouldn't trust it. It's easy to manually set Jira up and point it to existing data per the doc that I linked previously. I feel it's faster and more reliable that using the upgrader, personally.

I was able to get Jira Service Desk 4.0.0 installed and can run it via the start-jira from the prompt but cannot get the windows service to load. This is the error I receive-

E:\Program Files\Atlassian\JIRA\bin>service.bat install Jira
Installing the service 'JIRAServiceDesk281218110756' ...
Using CATALINA_HOME:    "E:\Program Files\Atlassian\JIRA"
Using CATALINA_BASE:    "E:\Program Files\Atlassian\JIRA"
Ignoring JAVA_HOME:        "E:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.8.0_192"
Using JRE_HOME:         "E:\Program Files\Atlassian\JIRA\bin\\..\jre"
Using JVM:              "E:\Program Files\Atlassian\JIRA\bin\\..\jre\bin\server\jvm.dll"
8 was unexpected at this time.

Any help getting this fixed would be great.... as I'm at a loss. 

Thank you.

Community Leader
Community Leader
February 12, 2019

That JRE_HOME path looks a little wacky.  Can you set the correct location as an environment variable for the user that you are starting Jira with?

I'd expect it to be something like this path

E:\Program Files\Atlassian\JIRA\jre

Like this?

IMG_0108.jpg

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events