Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Update Customer Request Type on Issue Type Change

Michael Jones May 4, 2018

I would think this would be pretty simple, but I'm struggling... we have a basic service desk type used for requests, and I can already foresee any access requests being input as this type (as well as people emailing the helpdesk, their request will automatically generate this type of basic service request).  I would like the ability to change the request type after submission from Helpdesk Request to Access Request, which simply adds a few new fields in, that the helpdesk rep can fill in, and gives an approvals field.  However, when I currently attempt this, I get "this request type is not applicable for the current issue type".  I've read some documentation regarding this, but I still can't find where to look.  I don't see any way to associate two issue types with one request type, which seems to be what is implied by the other community post I read.  Any help for a newbie?

screen_schemes2.PNGapproval-upgrade.PNG

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 4, 2018

You can't associate a single request type with multiple issue types, but you can associate multiple request types in a single issue type.   Request types are specific to Service Desk.  Whereas Issue types exist in all Jira projects (Core, Software, and JSD).   The idea of request types acts as an additional layer for Service Desk inside of issue types.

In this case, you can't change the request type because the issue type governs which request types are valid for that issue.   Instead I would recommend that you try to edit the issue type.  If you can't do that first, then the next possible way around this is to move the issue.  You can move an issue within the same project and thereby you can choose a new issue type in the process.  This should help let you then choose an appropriate request type for this new issue type selected.

I hope this helps.

That makes perfect sense, however these two issue types don't reside in any other projects... I went into the project settings, and the project scheme lays out both issue types I want to swap between within the Issue Types.  I do not see either of these issue types existing in any other projects though.  Where should I be making this change to ensure that these two issue types are "moved" into the service desk project?  I believe the "Issues" tab under administration is the master set of issues outside of the service desk project, I just don't know how to move if from there, and make it exclusive to the service desk.  We are still pretty vanilla here, so any major face-lifting here is still perfectly feasible.

global issues.PNGITHD-issuetypes.PNG

Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 4, 2018

No sorry, you don't move issue types, you move Jira issues.  You can do this when viewing an issue by going to the More menu -> Move.  When you move an issue in Jira, you get the option to select which project to move it to, and then select which issue types are valid for that project.   Once you do this, and click next, you can then select a valid request type for that selected issue type.

Ah hah.  Thank you for that clarification, I'm still getting accustomed to the concept that terminology is organized in a layered fashion.  That made perfect sense.

Thank you!

Deleted user April 26, 2019

this is silly, when you should be able to choose more than one issue type for a request type. easy fix.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events