Unable to connect to Gmail (Google Apps) for custom email address in Service Desk

Gideon Abate March 23, 2018

I'm trying to connect a Gmail account for our custom email address by which customers should be able to submit service requests. 

When entering in my details I get the following error despite having the correct username and password combination. 

Unfortunately JIRA couldn't connect to the mail server. Here is what the mail server said: "[AUTHENTICATIONFAILED] Invalid credentials (Failure)" Check out our troubleshooting docs for help resolving the issue.

I don't have 2 factor turned on for this particular email address. I've check the troubleshooting and it doesn't have any information related to Gmail.

Anyone else have or has had this problem?

1 answer

1 accepted

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question

2 votes
Answer accepted
Soane
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 28, 2018

Hi Gideon,

In order to troubleshoot, could you try to utilize a different email address (with 2FA disabled as well) and check if you’re still experiencing this error?

Cheers,
Soane K.

Gideon Abate March 28, 2018

Hi Soane, 

I tried to connect using a Yahoo account and got the following error: 

Unfortunately JIRA couldn't connect to the mail server. Here is what the mail server said: "[AUTHENTICATIONFAILED] AUTHENTICATE Invalid credentials" Check out our troubleshooting docs for help resolving the issue.  

This is the same error that I received for Gmail.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 31, 2018

Then, I'm afraid, you are giving it the wrong credentials.

Gideon Abate March 31, 2018

I created a brand new email account just to try a different provider so I pretty certain think it's not the wrong credentials.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 1, 2018

I'm afraid it doesn't matter what you think. The mail server is being given invalid credentials and Jira does not do anything "clever" with them when it tries to use them, it literally sends exactly what you enter.  Whatever you are putting in is not valid.

It may be that gmail has been configured not to accept login from there with that user (I don't know if gmail can be configured to do that), but if that's not the case, then you're not giving it the right username and password.

All I can think of there is checking for leading and trailing spaces, and making sure your password only contains simple low-numbered ascii characters so there cannot be any encoding issues.  Characters between 33! and 126~

Gideon Abate April 1, 2018

Nic,

My password for the new email is incredibly easy to write and enter and I can guarantee you that I have not entered in incorrect credentials regardless of the fact that Jira is telling me that I have. I have copy pasted the password from Yahoo into JIRA.

I got the following notification from Yahoo regarding the login attempt from JIRAyahoo security message.png

What does this mean and why would JIRA not meet "modern" security standards?

Thanks

Like # people like this
Gideon Abate April 4, 2018

Nic,

The issue is that Gmail and Yahoo consider the JIRA Service Desk as a "less secure" application and blocks the login attempt.

For Gmail, you will need to follow instructions to allow "less secure" apps to login.

less secure app.png

Like # people like this
Bojana Vasic May 3, 2018

Hi all,

I have the same issue, and I have enabled the less secure app...

Any ideas? 

Error : Unfortunately JIRA couldn't connect to the mail server. Here is what the mail server said: "Connection refused: connect".

Thanks!

Oleg Ivanivskyi October 1, 2018

Firewall? Have you tried to connect to the server via telnet?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 24, 2018

As above, the answer is "It may be that gmail has been configured not to accept login from there with that user"

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events