Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to add multiple WHEN scenarios in Automation for JIRA Service Desk

Mark Mosher September 11, 2018

You used to be able to add multiple "WHEN" triggers for Automations in JIRA Service Desk, but I'm no longer able to find this option? Was it removed intentionally or is this a bug?

The OpsGenie integration documentation requires this functionality:
https://docs.opsgenie.com/docs/jiraservicedesk-integration

Example of an old Automation with multiple When conditions I had set up attached, but I no longer seem to have this option.

image.png

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 11, 2018

Hello Mark,

This was an intended behavior since all the functionality that you can implement using multiple WHEN can also be implemented using multiple CONDITIONS (IF) with JQL or Multiple Automation Rules.

The objective of this change was to fix some bugs with this feature and help customers to better organize the Automation rules with a single trigger.

If you need any help to configure any specific use-case, Please let me know.

Mark Mosher September 11, 2018

Thanks @Petter Gonçalves. Would be much more efficient to have multiple WHEN triggers rather than creating multiple automation rules. Thanks for letting me know it was intended functionality though.

Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 11, 2018

You are welcome, Mark. :)

Yves Martin
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 7, 2019

Multiple WHEN triggers avoids the copy-paste pattern when CONDITION and ACTION are exactly the same - typically in my case, "Send email".

With multiple rules, the email content has to be edited multiple times with risk to lose consistency.

John Walker June 5, 2020

I too am following the Opsgenie instructions. 

I have started an Opsgenie free trial and I just wanna, quickly, get something set up to see it working and if we want to dedicate any further time in seeing if it useful for our team.

I have little experience of Automate on Jira and don't have much time to learn. 

So, what would the equivalent instructions be to the "Add Issue created, Issue resolution changed, Status changed, Comment added and Comment edited." step?

--- QUOTE START ---

• In Jira Service Desk dashboard, go to Project Settings -> Automation -> click on Add Rule and select Custom Rule on list and click Next
  • Give a name to the rule e.g. Opsgenie
  • Click Add Trigger on WHEN section
  • Add Issue created, Issue resolution changed, Status changed, Comment added and Comment edited.
  • Click Add Action on THEN section
  • Select Webhook and click Add

--- QUOTE END ---

Do I need to create 5 rules, one for each trigger?

Or do something special by clicking "Add condition"

Like fulya likes this
Ryan Ragona June 23, 2020

Plus one to John's question; this doesn't make sense to me. 

Like fulya likes this
fulya March 15, 2022

John and Ryan, I totally agree. It's 2022, and I, too, struggle with this issue.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events