Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trying to Add Users without exposing other boards

Gary Chisholm June 7, 2019

I have multiple JIra boards - one of which is for my business itself. I need to know how I can add a user to one of my projects and limit their access so that they cannot see my other boards.

Each time I try to add, the users are seeing everything and I have sensitive information in my other projects. How can I best and most efficiently limit new users' view to their respective boards.

2 answers

0 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 7, 2019

users can only see boards if they are shared w/ them. However, they will still be able to see the issues in the project they are part of. Issues belong to projects not boards. So if you add a person to a project and give them browse access they can see all issues in the project.

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 7, 2019

but depending upon your needs you might look into Issue Level Security

Jack, thank you. The users can go to the project but cannot see the boards. When users try and go to the boards, they see "Having trouble connecting to your boards. Try again" with a never ending progress spinner. Is this possibly a technical support issue?

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 8, 2019

Gary, so a bit confused. In your original post it seemed you were trying to prevent users from seeing certain boards within a project and I answered with simply excluding them in the share. Susan conveyed similar explaining the need to share or not share the underlying filter.

However, reading your recent update it seems like your issue is that others in the project are unable to access boards you want them to see that you have shared with them. If you can see the boards but others cannot then it seems like a share/permissions issue. However, if the users can actually find the board in the list of boards then it would mean it is shared with them. Further, the spinning icon might convey a connection issue. If this is persistent then I would reach out to Atlassian Support.

0 votes
Susan Hauth _Jira Queen_
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 7, 2019

Hi Gary,

I assume you're talking about kanban/scrum boards?  Visibility to those boards is dependent on the underlying filter for the board.  So if you configure your board, it will have a filter.  If you edit the permissions on that filter, you can restrict to a group, role, etc.  Once you have done that, any user not in the permissions for that filter, will not be able to see that board.

Hope that helps

Susan

I did what you suggested and having a different issue.

The user can go to the project and when they access the boards, the message appears "Having trouble connecting to your boards. Try again." and there is a progress spinner.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events