Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Time to First Response: Commenting doesn't stop timer.

Brenden Smerbeck March 8, 2018

Should be a simple solution, here's our "Time to First Response" SLA:

Begin counting time when: Issue Created
Time is not counted during: <blank>
Finish counting time when: Comment: For Customers

When we create a ticket internally, I attempt to comment to stop the first response timer. The comment is entered and I click the button "Share with customer" instead of "Comment internally". However, the SLA timer continues to run and doesn't stop for this case. Other SLA timers work properly (Time until resolution, etc.) but this does not.

Looking for some help.

Thanks

5 answers

1 accepted

7 votes
Answer accepted
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 8, 2018

@Brenden Smerbeck, this should work. In fact I did a quick test and while i'm not 100% sure just yet it appears I reproduced the condition you are seeing. So, i'm going to take another look in a bit when i'm free. I do know that a couple weeks back JSD was experiencing issues w/ occasional SLAs not stopping when they should but this scenario is different and they fixed the previous issue. In the end if it is a bug we will want to raise to support.

@Jack Brickey I've been able to determine the cause. The SLA won't stop if you are both the reporter and asignee. If you make another user the reporter, the comment stops the timer. Strange...

Like # people like this
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 8, 2018

ah, yes of course. that one will get you all the time when testing. I usually use my 'customer' account i have setup for testing but not this time. :-)

I would recommend checking this as answered so others can find easily.

It's a shame, but I'll just have to make a dummy customer account whenever I make an internal ticket. We use our Service Desk to track most of our work and it's not always raised by a customer. Oh well! Food for thought in later updates! I'll definitely mark it as answered so people can find it. 

Like AndyM likes this
AndyM November 20, 2018

We're seeing the same issue. We often create requests ourselves and then when we comment via the agent view, the comment is classed as being made by the customer.

This basically makes the Time to First response SLA meaningless cos the stats get completely messed up.

2 votes
AndyM November 20, 2018

I came up with a workaround for this.  You can configure the SLA to be disabled for all Service Desk Agents.

This means you lose the "Time to First Response" on any requests created by any of the agents, but this is better than having the SLA stats messed up.

The workaround is to edit the SLA and add a new goal with this JQL:

reporter in membersOf("jira-servicedesk-users")

Leave the Goal field blank and Calendar as 24/7.

This will mean all requests created by members of the `jira-servicedesk-users` group will not have this SLA applied.

Firas Amer December 2, 2018

@AndyM, when I leave the time field empty I can add this goal however after refresh it will be cleared, and won't be there any more.

1 vote
Jai Vijay July 25, 2019

If you are a part of the organization  It makes JIRA consider a customer comment, and the SLA will not stop. Removing your user from the organization should help resolving the issue.

0 votes
Shardul Bhatlavande November 3, 2022

I faced the similar issue where I was both the reporter and the assignee. I could not figure out why the first response timer is not stopping. When I asked my colleague to comment on the ticket, the timer stopped.

I have another related question here - in this same case, if I resolve this issue with the resolution field filled, does it stop the Time to Resolution timer OR someone else other than myself has to resolve the issue in order to stop the resolution timer ?

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 3, 2022

it should stop unless you have something incorrect in your SLA. Note this is really a separate question and deserves its own post.

0 votes

mistake! marking the top comment

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events